Cooling the CPU, X11SDV-4C-TLN2F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

n00bftw

Jul 16, 2020
United Kingdom
The IS-60 - ID-COOLING would be a perfect cooler for the Silverstone 381 case and a 12 core X11 variant, it's low profile and has a 130w TDP, the CPU only has an 85w TDP. I wish I had the ingenuity to create a bracket. Does anyone know of a service or someone that will take payment to create one?

Jul 29, 2019
Hi everyone!
I have my machine working for over a year now, all good, but I'm ready to move to a rack-based setup, so I was wondering... I have the Noctua installed (Noctua A6x25 PWM) to cool the CPU of this motherboard. Would it fit the E300 chassis in case I want to move this motherboard there?

Jul 29, 2019
The motherboard should fit, the X11SDV-4C-TLN2F is listed as one of the supported boards here: SCE300 | 1U | Chassis | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc.
However you won't be able to use your A6x25, the 1U design is only tall enough for the heatsink by itself. The chassis uses front to back air flow provided by the 2x 40mm fans at the front.
Thanks @kingcody. I guess I'll have to remove it then, and probably get some noctuas for the chassi, as I don't want that thing to scream... :D

AndroGen

Jan 21, 2019
Would it fit the E300 chassis in case I want to move this motherboard there?
I have SYS-E200-9A - the same design, just a bit smaller case.
The mother board should fit, however you would be stuck with rather small and very noisy fans.
There is a possibility to replace stock fans by e.g. Noctua, you just need to be aware that Noctua fans have much lower airflow leaving your motherboard working in relatively higher temperature.
I have much "smaller" system SYS-E200-9A with Intel Atom Processor C3558 and it operates at ~55-60°C ...
My case has 3 Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM fans (I hope I am not mistaking) - this is bearable when the PC is in the closed cabinet.
The stock fans are crazy loud

Jul 29, 2019
I have SYS-E200-9A - the same design, just a bit smaller case.
The mother board should fit, however you would be stuck with rather small and very noisy fans.
There is a possibility to replace stock fans by e.g. Noctua, you just need to be aware that Noctua fans have much lower airflow leaving your motherboard working in relatively higher temperature.
I have much "smaller" system SYS-E200-9A with Intel Atom Processor C3558 and it operates at ~55-60°C ...
My case has 3 Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM fans (I hope I am not mistaking) - this is bearable when the PC is in the closed cabinet.
The stock fans are crazy loud
thanks @AndroGen. I guess I will keep the Fractal Design case and drop the idea to move it to the Supermicro chassis then. I was hoping I could just keep the Noctua fan I got on top of the heat sink, but since it won’t fit, better give up the idea...

Reactions: AndroGen

AndroGen

Jan 21, 2019
I was hoping I could just keep the Noctua fan I got on top of the heat sink, but since it won’t fit, better give up the idea...
There is no space on top of the heat sink in E200 (E300) - system would be operating having the flow going through the case, and through the heatsink.
My personal PoV: X11SDV-4C-TLN2F is way too hot for a such case.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
There is no space on top of the heat sink in E200 (E300) - system would be operating having the flow going through the case, and through the heatsink.
why is that?its just 1u case, can’t put dual 200w tdp in half width 1u if you want, certainly lots of big Xeon or AMD dual socket 1u servers around.

AndroGen

Jan 21, 2019
why is that?its just 1u case, can’t put dual 200w tdp in half width 1u if you want, certainly lots of big Xeon or AMD dual socket 1u servers around.
I guess you might have missed one important part: "There is no space on top of the heat sink".
Yes, there are many U1 servers, and they operate not having the fan "on top of the heatsink", rather ensuring proper flow "through the case", in some cases having special tunnel over the CPU heatsink.
This particular case have very little space on top.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I was referring to this part of the post.

Just saying I didn’t really agree that the cpu was too hot for a small 1u case. Yes of course sounds like a jet taking off but it certainly works as do way bigger systems in slightly larger 1u cases.

Reactions: AndroGen

AndroGen

Jan 21, 2019
Just saying I didn’t really agree that the cpu was too hot for a small 1u case. Yes of course sounds like a jet taking off but it certainly works as do way bigger systems in slightly larger 1u cases.
Agree, if this is in the computer center, in cooled, no human presence environment - all is right.
My perspective in this comment was: it is in personal use, where system is installed somewhere at home.
In general you are absolutely correct: it will work, just will sound like a jet. ;)

Jul 29, 2019
Agree, if this is in the computer center, in cooled, no human presence environment - all is right.
My perspective in this comment was: it is in personal use, where system is installed somewhere at home.
In general you are absolutely correct: it will work, just will sound like a jet. ;)
I was thinking actually about buying the E300 case as I want to move my setup to a rack.
When I bought my X11-SDV-4C-TP8F, I got Supermicro to replace the heat sync with their fan.

Is it ok then to move it to an E300 by just removing the fan, or would I need the original heat sync? I don't know if there's a difference between the one that supports a fan and the original one.

AndroGen

Jan 21, 2019
I was thinking actually about buying the E300 case as I want to move my setup to a rack.
When I bought my X11-SDV-4C-TP8F, I got Supermicro to replace the heat sync with their fan.

Is it ok then to move it to an E300 by just removing the fan, or would I need the original heat sync? I don't know if there's a difference between the one that supports a fan and the original one.
I have not tried this particular move - hence cannot answer this question definitely.

As a reference: 5019D-4C-FN8TP | 1U | SuperServers | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc.
it is in 1U case, just a bit bigger (full 19" size)
and as you see, it has an "original" heatsink, where air blows through it. whether this will fit into e300 - you might ask Supermicro directly

Last edited:

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
If somebody wants up to 8 high speed cores and only needs up to 128gb ram. Silence being far more important than money (but to be fair what I would suggest is also comparable price wise to the intel NUC with e-2268 anyway)

Compulab Airtop 3 with e-2288g (8-core 3.7/5.0ghz), fanless, up to 128gb, 4x2.5” sata, 2 m.2 NVMe and option extra NVMe slots.

Now i don’t own one but have used the past model and they are really good.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
@Spartacus, you designed and implemented a pretty groovy and simple solution for the lovely X11SDV-4C-TLN2F server. (Not X10SDV-4C-TLN2F, as per this thread.) Are the methods you used for your/our X10 equally applicable to this X11 board?

Is there any appreciable difference in noise between the two boards?

CoachDitka

Jan 11, 2021
Here's my solution for CPU cooling on the X11SDV-12C-TLN2F with a Fractal Node 304 Case - A couple of L-brackets attached to the 120MM fan hole positions on the case side, and a 120MM fan on the CPU side. Seems to work well. CPU temps in the mid-30's at idle.IMG_9377.jpegIMG_9378.jpegIMG_9379.jpegIMG_9380.jpegIMG_9381.jpeg

niekmv33

Feb 22, 2021
Hi, I want to place a noctua 80mm on my e300-9d cpu heatsink. In which way should I put it on? Should it blow cold air on the cpu or suck hot air away? Thnx