Cooling the CPU, X11SDV-4C-TLN2F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Slavearm

Apr 15, 2017
I will be designing the brackets for the NH-L12S in F360 next week. I will post them up on thingiverse. I am going to print them out of a nylon carbon fiber blend which I anticipate holding up just fine. You could also send the design off to a machine shop if you want someone to make them. They are not that complicated, but I am moving the next couple of weeks. If someone does this before me... please share =)

Slavearm

Apr 15, 2017
Any online service that you could recommend for printing in polycarbonate?

THanks!
Honestly, I have never looked. I know almost all of them will do ABS and I am pretty sire that would do fine. Just left them know the dimensions are tight and they will need to account for abs shrinkage probably 102% scale is safe

mibmal

Mar 5, 2019
@Slavearm thanks for the 3d prints. I just tried it with my X11SDV-12C-TLN2F but it looks like the screw holes for me are about 47mm ish apart (Imgur) whereas the prints come out something around 53mm? It is for a FCBGA2518 socket which is the same as the one used by the motherboard in the title. Have I done something obviously wrong with the prints?

Slavearm

Apr 15, 2017
Measurements:
Outside to outside: 53mm
Inside to inside: 47mm
Center to Center: 50mm
Holes are 3mm diameter.

so depending on how you were measuring it could be spot on.

only reason you might have an issue is due to abs or other material shrinkage. Which you can scale up the design to accommodate for.

mibmal

Mar 5, 2019
Thanks for such a quick reply and confirming. I don't have a printer myself so I've ordered a few more at a few different scales to see how they come out. Will let you know how it goes.

mibmal

Mar 5, 2019
@Slavearm The next few come out roughly the same. I tried a few different materials just to see if the size was a factor. But having had a good measure this evening with the old heatsink rather than trying to measure a fully setup system. Anyway as you can see Imgur mine seems to be just a tad smaller. Is there any chance you would be able to adjust the images so the center to center is about 46mm?

sth

Oct 29, 2015
@Slavearm Mine are the same as @mibmal and am keen to understand why theres a difference between yours and ours? Are there different versions of the heatsink/socket? I'm keen to get some printed before I resort to McGyvering some stuff together. Is there any chance you could make adjustments for us?

EDIT.... ahhhhh thats the X10 1500 Xeon-D yours are for, this thread is relating to the newer Xeon-D, the X11 or 2100 series.

Donald Thomas

Jan 8, 2018
Great thread!

I wonder, has anyone tried the passive heatsink from Supermicro (SNK-P0067PS) or one of the active ones, such as the SNK-P0068APS4?
I am going for the active one, but if it's too noisy and/or the passive one does a good job on a Fractal Design node 804, so I might go for the passive one.
I would love to use this Fan on my Xeon D 1541, has anyone had any luck getting one of these to fit?

sth

Oct 29, 2015
This turned into a PITA job :) My 3D printer took so long to arrive I ended up fabricated something out of plastic rod and aluminum strips that enabled me to mount the NH-L12S on my X11SDV into my Silverstone CS381. It runs under full load the same as the factory cooler but silent. Used in a Silverstone CS381 with a passively cooled Quadra P2200. I meant throw a build log together but just got distracted with other stuff.

Heres some photos to help you see how I made this work.

Attachments

n00bftw

Jul 16, 2020
United Kingdom
This turned into a PITA job :) My 3D printer took so long to arrive I ended up fabricated something out of plastic rod and aluminum strips that enabled me to mount the NH-L12S on my X11SDV into my Silverstone CS381. It runs under full load the same as the factory cooler but silent. Used in a Silverstone CS381 with a passively cooled Quadra P2200. I meant throw a build log together but just got distracted with other stuff.

Heres some photos to help you see how I made this work.
That's exactly the case I'm putting mine in ;). Not sure I have the ability to do something like that, all the gear and no idea comes to mind lol. I would love a low profile Noctua on the MOBO though. I wish Noctua would just make a bracket :(.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
yeah, the cooler doesn't fit under the drive trays sadly. Its a super tight fit under there which is why I resorted to all this. You also cant mount a vertical cooler with this motherboard due to CPU placement which is why I had to delicately persuade the heat pipes around. If you dont want to go to all this you might be better taking the standard cooler and finding a way to mount of silent fan to it in the space constraints you have.

n00bftw

Jul 16, 2020
United Kingdom
yeah, the cooler doesn't fit under the drive trays sadly. Its a super tight fit under there which is why I resorted to all this. You also cant mount a vertical cooler with this motherboard due to CPU placement which is why I had to delicately persuade the heat pipes around. If you dont want to go to all this you might be better taking the standard cooler and finding a way to mount of silent fan to it in the space constraints you have.
I was under the impression the NH-L12S fit in the Silverstone 301, it is under the specified max hight of 59mm that Silverstone state in their website :/

sth

Oct 29, 2015
Its hard to show and I dont have great images but this might help you understand the fitment challenges. The bottom of the cage is not that much higher than top of the RAM chips, and just above the LSI HBA.
EDIT: Also,Silverstone 301 != Silverstone381. Maybe that matters?
1594948788811.png

Attachments

Last edited:

n00bftw

Jul 16, 2020
United Kingdom
Bummer. Probably better trying to attach an AIO liquid cooler to the board. Failing that ill just stick a 90mm(thin version) Noctua on it, or get the official active cooler and put a 60mm Noctua on it, not too sure yet.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
I suspect so, although you might struggle to find one thats fits this specific socket, the x11sdv isn't a consumer product so range and availability is typically more limited. Come back if you find anything as I'm sure there are more folks interested.