Cooling help needed - Converting/replacing supermicro passive heat sink an active one

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pookieman

Aug 30, 2021
Hello all
I've been trying to quieten my supermicro server .. I replaced the stock fan which we very loud with regular PC fans.. that worked.. but I'm concerned about the temps of the CPUs.. I've not tested it too much yet but i'm confident it'll get too hot..

Currently I have passive heat sinks on the 2 xeons .. this one
Supermicro 2U Passive Proprietary CPU Heat Sink Socket LGA2011 Narrow ILM (SNK-P0058PSU)

It's a funny shape because it has to squeeze under a frame in the chassis. I've taken a bunch of pictures. So I'm thinking .. is there an active cooler that will fit in this space??

Can be supermicro or not .. doesn't matter but I think I need something with a fan. This is the server 6028U-TRTP+ | 2U | SuperServers | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc.

All help is appreciated

Attachments

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
I would not recommend modifying the cooling on that server (including replacing the chassis fans like you have). Supermicro's Ultra line is meant to be high performance and anything but quiet. The only things that I'm aware of that will clear the bracket are 1U active coolers and they will be even louder than what you have already. You are likely better off getting a different system if noise is of concern.

pookieman

Aug 30, 2021
Thanks for your response. Not really what I wanted to hear though

I'm kind of invested in making this server work though. I'm wondering about liquid cooling. This server isn't really going to be moved around and it installed in a rack. Is there a solution here where I can get a radiator mounted on rack with a tubes running into the server and attached to the CPUs.. it doesn't have to be pretty just functional.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Koolance used to make such a system ages ago, though not sure these days. I'm sure you could rig up something yourself, but if you don't have all the parts already, it would quickly add up (1U water blocks are ~$100 each alone). Doesn't feel like the most cost effective thing when these servers were only ~$240 shipped on eBay earlier this year.