Cooling for server rack in garage

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
I was just at a site that is doing a complete change out of equipment and they are scrapping all of the in-row coolers. (Rack AC units) is this some of you would be interested in
Where are they located?

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
In my personal opinion, it's more important to get the hot air out of the garage instantly. Every A/C is losing efficiency if heated air stays in the room. The temp delta between fresh/heated air decreases step by step.

BlackHole

Jul 21, 2018
In my personal opinion, it's more important to get the hot air out of the garage instantly.
Aye. In-Rack AC with external radiator and putting that outside the garage might be an efficient option. Installation is not that bad - insulated tubing + power + condensation management. However you might have to check if the external parts can handle the environment, i.e. sub-freezing in my case, dunno if that ever applies to you.
Climatized racks are also nice for operating gear in dusty/humid(&salty) areas, as the sealed environment keeps all that out. So if you're looking to buy used, don't limit yourself to data center sources but look also at industrial. Low power in-rack coolers are used to cool control cabinets and might be good enough for your application.

Reactions: gb00s