Cooling fan for E2246G

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
E2246G = 80W TDP

1) NH-L12S - 70mm (95W TDP rated)
2) NH-L9x65 - 65mm (84W TDP rated)
3) NH-L9i - 35mm (65W TDP ??)

If you want to stick with MFG recommended ratings for TDP, #1 and #2 would be suitable.

I have #2 and #3 that I tested with an E-2288G (95W TDP rating).
Because my builds are 2u, I am taking a chance on the NH-L9i (IIRC rated for 65W TDP ??)

I may look into the Dynatron 650 for the horizontal fan direction and TDP ratings if i run into issues.

The stock Intel cooler you listed may be rated for 65W TDP as well ... not confirmed.

Reactions: MisterE

986box

Oct 14, 2017
Installed the fan and heat sink. OMG, the heat sink covers 60% of the matx board.

MisterE

Oct 23, 2022
The post of @Netwerkz101 was of great help. But i like to add my 2 cents. Maybe it will help someone. I also wanted to cool my processor for my X11SCL-F motherboard. Using a SC846 case i opted to use no direct cpu cooler but use the air shroud.

My first try was the official supermicro SNK-P0046P. But i found out a backplate is required and not included. Tried without but creating too much stress on the motherboard so it is in the bin.

Found this thread and the NH-L9x65 seemed interesting because the fan is on the top and removable.
Noctua has a compatibility page but none of their coolers seems supported. Weird!
("Components at the back prevent the installation of the backplate")

Based on this page i order the cooler en installed it without the fan. It was easy to install and works just fine.

Note: i added tape inside the case under the cpu to make sure the backplate can never make electronic contact.

Will sent a mail to Noctua about the incompatibility claim.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
BKT-0028L
My first try was the official supermicro SNK-P0046P. But i found out a backplate is required and not included
its included in the -O package. if the seller has -B package he forgot to include the BKT-0028L or you got a incomplete customer return.
46P.jpg

MisterE

Oct 23, 2022
BKT-0028L

its included in the -O package. if the seller has -B package he forgot to include the BKT-0028L or you got a incomplete customer return.
View attachment 25858
Maybe you are right and the shop made a incomplete delivery but i tried to apply it without a backplate so the thermal past is gone.

And i noticed more errors with Supermicro products. Wrong fan cable, bag of hd screws without the caddy labels. Those items are from Supermicro Netherlands directly. So, it seems they sloppy.

MisterE

Oct 23, 2022
already got a reaction:

There are 2 kinds of motherboard models, one with components on the back, which cannot be removed and block the installation of a backplate, and the other one without. Since the majority have a version, that is incompatible, we cannot recommend any of our coolers for this specific motherboard.
Still somewhat unclear. Note, i seem to have motherboard REV 1.01.