Cool new mining case And motherboard for my P106-100 GTX 1060 gpu's UPDATE: Its assembled!! Finally!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Took about three weeks to get in but its really nice.

I decided to repurpose the Rosewill mining case, going with the Nvidia Volta gpu's when they come out and since the P106-100 1060 dedicated mining cards run so cool in it I think they will run fine in this little more space constrained case.

Specs:
Onda D1800 6GPU Mining Motherboard
Integrated J1800 CPU 2.41 GHz
4 gigs of DDR-3 ram
MSata SSD
1 sata port
4 usb connections, 2 on the back of the case plus two internal headers that will be used for the install of the os or os's.

The case is made just for the board, included the fans and the dedicated fan wiring harness (very clean install vs a bunch of molex connectors)

I am going to swap over the Evga 1000 watt platinum power supply and the gpu's.

What I gain with this swap is that it frees up the Rosewill mining case, has no risers (might be able to increase the hash rate a little) cleaner wiring routing and a real nice looking case.

I think this case would not really be that great for more powerful and or hotter running gpu's but the 1060's only use ~70 watts each so it should be OK.

The case is specially made for this motherboard, there is another case but the gpu # 6 is REAL close to the inside of that case were this one has plenty of room.

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I'll probability run windows 10 at first since that is what the current setup uses, that way I can compare the performance. Then I might try a dedicated mining os.

onsit

Jan 5, 2018
Atx 24 + 3 sata for pwr_in? What a strange combo... I'd love to order one of these before they skyrocket in price, but I wish they had just used 2-3 6pins to power the 6 pci-e slots.

Found it: Onda B250 BTC D8P - it seems it costs $100 more, but the piece of mind of none-sata powered pci slots is great. Even let's you mount your own CPU.

I do like the integrated Celeron soldered onto the board however.

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
The connector choice actually does make sense, lets you use the connectors that come with the power supply without having to use any adapters. My 1000 Watt power supply is completely modular and has 6 6+2 pcie connectors plus 6 peripheral connectors and that is perfect for this motherboard.

onsit

Jan 5, 2018
Which site did you end up getting it from? A few reselling sites seem to sell multiple case configuratons. Even in a 4U form factor! Onda D1800 and Onda B250 cases.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Which site did you end up getting it from? A few reselling sites seem to sell multiple case configuratons. Even in a 4U form factor! Onda D1800 and Onda B250 cases.

Cryptomined.com

I saw that case but I do not have a server rack and that case puts the lh gpu in the pic too close to the side of the case with just a small window there for airflow.

The case I have will work much better for me and I think will run cooler too.

onsit

Jan 5, 2018
I could be wrong, I think it is a mistake to install Windows 10 on such underpowered system.
Celeron G440 and G39xx is common on mining rigs. The J1800 isn't exactly magnitudes slower. Windows 10 just has better driver support and OC support, especially for AMD based rigs unfortunately.

Reactions: Patrick

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I could be wrong, I think it is a mistake to install Windows 10 on such underpowered system.

I said I am going to install Win 10 first to compare hashrate to what the 1060's were making in the other build, then try other os's.

Got to start somewhere.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Temporary test setup, test power supply plugged into all needed connections, the molex connectors on the board are labeled wrong as they are not power out but power in for the pci-e slots.

I will not be running more than one gpu with this test setup, but my understanding is that all the power connections need to be plugged in even if there is not a gpu in that slot.

Like I said this setup right now is just temporary and will only be used for initial setup and testing.

The gpu in it now is an older GTX 650 but I will pull it out when I power it on and update the bios and for the os install then I will install it again and make sure it mines before I put the 1060's in.

Also I learned this motherboard has issues with 1080Ti's and other powerful cards because I cannot supply enough power for all 6 pci slots for 6 powerfull gpu's.

I have seen posting where users have used 3 1080's and 3 1060's ot 4 1070's and two 1060's or just 4 1080's, but 6 1060's are just fine.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Good new and bad news.............

The good news the fans push a LOT and I mean a LOT of air, I thought it was going to skeet across the table when I first powered it on.:D

No overheating problems there.

Loud tho.

Bad news ...... the Motherboard fails to post at all.

No post, no beeps, no nothing except it turns on the cpu fan and chassis fans.

Hit the reset bios button, nothing.

Removed the battery and installed a new battery still nothing.

Also removed it out of the case and removed the msata drive.

Nothing.....

Tried a second power supply.

Even removed the ram and powered it up thinking if anything will make it beep that will.

Still nothing.................... She's dead Jim.....:(

So contacted the seller about ordering another one and hopefully I can have the first one warrantied out.

Also apparently Onda may have had a bad batch because on Bitcointalk there are a few others posting about the same problem.

It really looks like a very nice quality board tho.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I just received an email from the seller, he is going to test the ones in his inventory to make sure the one he sends me is good.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Just received a reply back from the seller, he tested his inventory of both the ram and boards and found that he had two sticks of ram that have the same issue that I have.

He also had one other customer with the same issue, and that customer swapped the ram and that fixed it.

He is sending me a different brand and hopefully that will fix it.

Reactions: Patrick

Titan

Jan 14, 2018
Just received a reply back from the seller, he tested his inventory of both the ram and boards and found that he had two sticks of ram that have the same issue that I have.

He also had one other customer with the same issue, and that customer swapped the ram and that fixed it.

He is sending me a different brand and hopefully that will fix it.
Hope so.
They are prepairing to sell a large quantity of those types here. price is around $80 for motherboard and cpu.