Convert dell r415 server very noisy into a silent workstation

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

linesguapo

Sep 20, 2019
The first thing to apologize for my English ... my native language is Spanish, so if I make linguistic mistakes please forgive me

In my DataCenter, a dell R415 server has been removed. I want to use it to turn it into a silent workstation, integrated into a worktable. I already did a similar job with supermicro. But in the case of Dell I face the problem of the fans, they are very noisy and non-standard, I want to replace them with some quiet ones but apart from modifying and adapting the fans to the Dell spceial connector, I have to hack the fan control firm as indicates on this site:

How to adjust the fan thresholds of a Dell PowerEdge | tüfteln

Has anyone tried this with this server model?

https://www.dell.com/bg/business/p/poweredge-r415/pd

I'm also seeing the possibility of cheating the motherboard with fan emulator PCBs that are used in mining to remove all fans from a server and immerse it in novec or similar, but I can't find those PCBs for Dell's special connectors

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G7GXX2R/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2CZTDJTS77U7N

If anyone has achieved this before, I would appreciate good advice, in any case I will be stating my progress in this post in case it can help other people in the future

weust

Aug 15, 2014
If is has iDRAC you could also look at IPMI based fan control.
Could make them run a lot slower.

I don't have experience with such an old server, but worth looking into.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
If is has iDRAC you could also look at IPMI based fan control.
Could make them run a lot slower.

I don't have experience with such an old server, but worth looking into.
This, I have used fan IPMI control with an R420 similarly, that being said those tiny fans have a hard high pitched whine even at a reasonable 1k-1.5k rpm.

weust

Aug 15, 2014
I have a R230 at home running at 21% profile. It's in another room and it's fine in general, but every 30 seconds to a minute (not exactly sure) it ramps the fans up for a second or 2 and then slows down again.
Still need to figure out ipmitool for that.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
I have a R230 at home running at 21% profile. It's in another room and it's fine in general, but every 30 seconds to a minute (not exactly sure) it ramps the fans up for a second or 2 and then slows down again.
Still need to figure out ipmitool for that.
I had that happen too, do you have non-dell parts in it? I replaced my 10g generic nic with a Dell part number and it stoppped.

weust

Aug 15, 2014
I do. I think my quad port NIC was added later, but the SSD's are in from the beginning.

weust

Aug 15, 2014
Hmm, OK. Then pulling just my NIC won't help then.
IPMITOOL it is then.