Convert current workstation setup to a server.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

snerran

Oct 31, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
Hello everybody!

As a new member I'd like to thank everyone for making this community so great. Thank you!

I've been lurking on this forum for some time now but never bothered registering as I've used it primarily to gather information for my first server build. I haven't been able to contribute so much as I am very new to server builds. Server hardware is not really my strong side. I've worked with IT for ten years, currently employed as a Windows Server technician. Meaning I've only worked on OS and software level. We have a separate department that maintain our server hardware. Meaning I have little to no experience at all regarding server hardware. I have however built workstations since my teenage years. The reason for registering now is because I feel I really need your help with my first server build at home.

Here's the background and reason for the server build... Me and my wife live in a 3 bedroom apartment. We will extend our family with another member. She is due end of January next year. This means that we have to convert the current computer/hobby room to a bedroom. The result being we have to move my PC to our bedroom. We find this solution not so good. The PC is quite large and even though I've replaced all the fans with less noisy ones we find the noise to be too much for having it in our bedroom. My solution to this is to move it to our rather large walk-in closet and turn it to a more of a "pure" server. At present time it is running the following:

• Host OS: Windows 8
  • Virtualization: VMware Workstation running 3-4 VMs
  • VMs: DC / AD / DNS / and other network services (used partly for lab)
  • Host is also running Plex Media Server, FTP and serving as a file server on our LAN.

The system is not that old either. It was built early spring this year. Here are the hardware specifications:

So here's what I was thinking of doing with the current hardware...
  • Upgrade memory to 32GB.
  • Add 2 x Western Digital Red 3TB SATA III HDDs and configure RAID10.
  • Add 1 x Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD 512GB SATA3 and configure RAID1. This will host the VMs. RAID1 for redundancy.
  • Install Windows Server 2012 as host OS and run Hyper-V as hypervisor.
  • Use the WD Reds as storage area, maybe run a VM with OpenNAS or Windows Server 2012 with the File and Storage Services installed.
  • Run a VM for Plex Media Server
  • Run two VMs as DCs (for redundancy).
  • Run a VM with Windows Server 2012 with the RDS role installed. The idea here is to use a thin client in our bedroom instead that connects to RDS.
  • That way the wife and me can use it as our main "PC".

I know that some, or maybe even all of you, are already thinking... The hardware above is not pure server hardware, I know. At first I was thinking of buying completely new server hardware, install all the necessary goodies as Plex etc. and just shut down the main PC in the bedroom when we feel like it. However when I was adding up the numbers for the new server hardware I felt it would be too expensive. The current hardware is relatively new and powerful and it would be a waste to "just" use it as a normal PC and not run VMs, Plex etc. Basically it all comes down to economics. In time the above hardware will be outdated and would then be changed to "real" server hardware.

So my questions and thoughts regarding this is:
  • Is this doable or am I being optimistic?
  • Can the above hardware be used with Windows Server 2012? I've only worked with Windows Server OSs on HP and SuperMicro hardware.
  • Is the above hardware powerful enough to achieve this?

If the answers to the above questions are yes, I would also have to invest in extra NICs and RAID controller(s). The onboard NIC does not work so well with WS2K12. This brings up new questions:
  • Dual or quad port NICs, which manufacturer and model?
  • RAID controller, which to choose?

Long first post... I apologize for this. Any suggestions, comments or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
That configuration should work with Hyper-V

If you intend to go raid 10, look at the ibm serveraid m1015 controller, they can be found on ebay for $100.
I would lose the video card and use the integrated video so you can add more than one controller and NIC.
I am fond of the the Intel Dual Port adapters, (Intel® PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter) those go for around $120 or so.

I ran Hyper-V on a core i3 2120 w/ 16GB RAM with the above Intel Dual NIC and m1015 controller. Worked like a charm.

2x domain controllers 1GB a piece
2x ubuntu web servers 512MB RAM a piece
1x Win 7 3GB RAM
1x Ubuntu Meadtiatomb server 2GB RAM
1x Server 2012 R2 server 2GB RAM

snerran

Oct 31, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi! Thank you for the reply and suggestions.

Yes, you definitely have good point regarding the gfx card. When I built the system earlier this year it had a slightly different purpose. Hence the consumer/gamer hardware in the rig.

Great suggestion for NIC and RAID controller. Speaking of which. What mobo were you using in the above system? I've seen threads here describing problems with non-server ASUS boards and RAID controllers with Server 2012. Something to do with the UEFI.

What is your experience with UEFI boards and Server 2012?

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
The above system has an ASRock Z77 Pro 4 board. Stay away from Gigabyte boards if you want to use a RAID controller.
Server 2012, and 2012 R2 installs with out an issue on every EFI board I have tried.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
May want to ditch the Intel PT generation. They are quite ancient. I'm sure someone else can give some hints on NICs that support IOV while not breaking the bank.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
I am fond of the the Intel Dual Port adapters, (Intel® PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter) those go for around $120 or so.
$120 for a dual 1000 PT (82571) is crazy high, I get them for <=$10 single, <=$25 dual and quads have been under $100 for awhile.

If you look hard you can get a quad i340 or i350 for ~$150, those are the most recent high end gigabit chipsets chock full of VM features.

I have a half-written doc about buying cheap intel NICs on fleabay and have been meaning to post it on the pfsense forums for awhile. (more like a rant really...)
So tired of reading about all the suckers overpaying for underpowered atom kits with realtek nics just because they look like a tiny appliance.

snerran

Oct 31, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
Never heard of fleabay. Not to get into too much of a debate with new vs. second hand hardware, I'd rather buy factory new. I'm also located in Scandinavia, so buying from someone in the UK or the US of A is something I would like to avoid.

Having said that, what would you recommend if PT gen. NICs are outdated. I'm not looking for the cheapest alternative, nor the most expensive.

Cheers!