Consumer SATA SSD - ADATA SU800 1Tb $139 / 500Gb $80

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AlphaG

Jun 8, 2017
https://www.rakuten.com/shop/adata/...hXw&siteID=lw9MynSeamY-CwvhyY3UKmO3cc5dwmJhXw

ADATA SU800 1Tb SSD $139 with discount code AD23
ADATA SU800 500Gb SSD $80 with discount code AD13

From Rakuten, so use PayPal or one time CC# as there has been a history of credit card fraud it seems.

These drives use a Silicon Motion SM2258 controller and Micron 3D TLC NAND, so good stuff. Intel uses the same controller in their consumer 540s.

I was looking for a consumer SATA SSD to update the spinner in a used Thinkpad T440s laptop I bought for administrative duty (thanks to fohdeesha I now have a few Brocade switches) and to run Room EQ Wizard (REW) to measure and tune a home theater. I remember picking up a 2Tb Micron 1100 SSD from Rakuten and didn’t have any problems with that transaction. Just as before, I found this deal through slickdeals.

So while not the typical enterprise drive deal you guys are used to, thought this might be useful to some...

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
From Rakuten, so use PayPal or one time CC# as there has been a history of credit card fraud it seems.

These drives use a Silicon Motion SM2258 controller and Micron 3D TLC NAND, so good stuff. Intel uses the same controller in their consumer 540s.

I was looking for a consumer SATA SSD to update the spinner in a used Thinkpad T440s laptop I bought for administrative duty (thanks to fohdeesha I now have a few Brocade switches) and to run Room EQ Wizard (REW) to measure and tune a home theater. I remember picking up a 2Tb Micron 1100 SSD from Rakuten and didn’t have any problems with that transaction. Just as before, I found this deal through slickdeals.

So while not the typical enterprise drive deal you guys are used to, thought this might be useful to some...
I would only recommend the SU800 on the 1TB increments - that is a decent deal - mind you, it'll still be kinda slow against MX500 or the Samsung 950.

The SU800 capacity increments below 1TB suffers from high write latencies, poor throughput and indifferent power consumption.
AData tried to make their drive perform by turning some of the 384 GBit 3D-fab MLC flash chips into an SLC cache - and using the SMI controller to manage both - the problem is that the talking from SLC to MLC takes time and computational power. That's the reason why it has latency and throughput problems. At least on the 1TB drives there are more chips to allow better parallelization of work done, so the effect is a bit less pronounced.

The same processor in the Intel 540s deal with straight up 256Gbit planar flash modules instead of 3D fabs in both SLC and MLC forms. The same type of 384Gbit 3D-fab MLC flash chips are used by the Micron/Crucial MX300, which saddled it with a kinda-weak Marvell 4-channel controller, but it seems to work better than the AData.

I also have a personal preference for anything but AData - I bouht one of their MicroSD cards and it almost ruined a vacation for me.
(I had an 8GB MicroSDHC card go into read-only mode a few hours after I arrived in Paris, which consequently freaked out my phone and brought down Google Offline Maps and my ability to take photos. Had to remove the SD and just use internal memory and daily photo backups to my laptop to make it work)

Reactions: arglebargle