Consumer Radeon Cards with Windows Server No More?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TrevorX

Apr 25, 2016
3½ years ago I plugged a Radeon RX480 into a Hyper-V Server 2016 host, installed it using the standard driver package, and passed the card to a VM using DDA. It was all seamless and I could benchmark the card within the VM at pretty much baremetal performance - happy days.

But that was just to test it out - with tests complete, the card was then sold (for a decent markup due to mining insanity) - I had it in the server for all of about a week. I recently found an RX580 sitting on my desk, so I decided to plug it into my Hyper-V server to boost the lagginess of one of my workhorse VMs, but was saddened to discover that AMD seem to have killed off any ability to run a consumer Radeon card in a Windows Server OS. Not that there was ever official support for it anyway, but they seem to have gone out of their way to kill it.

So I thought I'd come on here to see if anyone is familiar with this, if anyone has played around with it and has a consumer Radeon card running with either Windows Server 2016 or 2019? I don't care if you have experience with Hyper-V and DDA, that's not important - the only important thing is whether you've managed to get a non-Pro Radeon card working with a Windows Server OS - if I can get the drivers loaded and the card addressable I can do the rest quite happily... It's getting the damned thing registered and working in the first place that's the problem!

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
It has been my experience that consumer radeon cards were a nightmare on windows server in general, but that also starts with server 2012 in that regard. But, firepro cards were always somewhat cheap so I usually ended up taking that choice when push came to shove, that or installing an nvidia card.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Are you sure the card isn't faulty?
Like what is the actual looks an error messaging of the problem?

All the power-connectors must be populated on the card for it work correctly, just to have mentioned it.