Consolidation advice

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

stoffman

Sep 22, 2020
Hi,

I looking for away to consolidate some devices I've at home into one server:
1. 8-ports router
2. 2 bays NAS server
3. VDSL

For the VDSL I found the VigorNIC 132 Series ,so now I'm looking for a server with 1 PCI slot, 8-LAN ports and 2 bays (if not possible one will do too)

Any idea or advise what should I buy?

Thanks,

MBastian

Jul 17, 2016
Düsseldorf, Germany
At home implies silent and as compact as possible?
How much storage do you need? 1TB, 10TB or more?
How fast should it be. How much RAM and computing power would the host need? (Plex, VMs, ?)
Linux, Windows, Openwrt or something else?
Would it be ok to connect your disks per USB or do you need hot swap bays?

Regarding VDSL modems: There are also SFP modules. E.g. VDSL2 SFP Modem (Telco Grade) | VX-160CE | Versatek.com

Personally I would always recommend to have a dedicated firewall with nothing else. No NAS and no Wifi.

stoffman

Sep 22, 2020
Yes, I want it to be silent and compact as possible. As long as it server my needs:

1. No Plex or VM or any demanding application (media encoding etc..)
2. It should be as fast as to server my needs (routing, hosting the modem, and serve files over the network using SMB)
3. 1TB is good, but I prefer 2TB.
4. Linux is preferred but I can handle both windows and openwrt

I didn't know about the SFP module. Thanks!!!

Storage 1TB

MBastian

Jul 17, 2016
Düsseldorf, Germany
Depending on your budget you could look at a Clearfog Pro from SolidRun. It has a Gbic port but only 6 ethernet ports. I've considered buying one 2 years ago but opted for a more tried and true solution (PCengines Apu with OPNSense)

- The single m.2 slot is SSD only and short (2242). It also has two msata/mpcie slots.
- The case you can buy from SolidRun won't allow mounting internal 2.5" drives and 1TB msata or short lenght m.2 drives have rather steep prices. You could mount the board in a bigger enclosure and use an msata to sata adapter, providing power could be an issue.
- I've no idea if a VDSL GBic would work and if yes what OS can support it.
If you are interested you can search the SolidRun forum, most of the above might be already answered there.

Btw. If you're living in europe (germany): Allnet VDSL2 Gbics are more readily available here.