ConnectX-3 upgrades

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bob_dvb

Sep 7, 2018
Not quite London
www.orbit.me.uk
I have some ConnectX-3 cards, I was curious to upgrade the firmware to the latest, probably unwise but it was an interesting prospect, so I wanted to try.

My card is MCX341A-XCEN which is PSID MT_1270112023, but that one was only listed as having version 2.31.1598 of the firmware and mine was newer than that. However, as there is a MCX341A-XCGN which is MT_1270114023. And when I was browsing online I saw someone from Mellanox saying that the two are effectively the same and they can be upgraded. So, what the heck, give it a try.

I saw this thread which mentioned "allow_psid_change" and I used that to help me:

I was worried because it might have exposed some incompatibility, but actually it worked fine. I backed-up my firmware first before proceeding, which is unusual for me because I am normally stupid/lazy, so I'd recommend that if you do backup you won't need it, but if you don't backup then fate says you will have an issue.

I wanted to share this success because otherwise I'd forget!

Bob

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
I might have to do this in the future when I stand up my next server. I have two X3 cards right now and they just work, I cant recall if I flashed them or upgraded them, same with my LSI cards for storage. It's one of those things you do it when it needs to be done and years later you don't remember what you did.