ConnectX-3 custom firmware files

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kevindd992002

Oct 4, 2021
@BeTeP any more ideas how to make this work with 2.42.5000? I, too, tried using your script to generate a new 2.42.5000 with the modified ini file but it doesn't make sriov work.

john389

May 21, 2022
@kevindd992002
I can't help you there, I believe I did upload the correct working and non-working images in that one post, but I don't have the time to test it again.

While I still have a few of those cards, I've since replaced most of them with Intel ones that didn't cause me as much of a headache, so I also no longer have any desire to get that working. It just isn't worth my time.

Why not buy a used X520-DA2, X710-DA2 or ConnectX-4 instead? They've come down in price quite a lot and all work without any issues for me. The newer E810 models however ... I updated the ice driver to the most recent version a week ago and one system promptly had a kernel panic while the VMs connected to SR-IOV VFs on another one no longer passed any traffic. So I went back to an older driver and it started working again.

bandit8623

May 25, 2021
make backup of original firmware---

flint -d mt4117_pciconf0 query full > flint_query.txt

flint -d mt4117_pciconf0 hw query > flint_hwinfo4117.txt

flint -d mt4099_pciconf0 ri orig_firmware4099.mlx <----------- get you your mlx file to edit. obv change name to your card

flint -d mt4117_pciconf0 dc orig_firmware4117.ini <----------- your ini to edit

flint -d mt4099_pciconf0 rrom orig_rom4099.mlx

----------

then you should be able to edit your mlx and ini. hope this helped

Last edited:
Reactions: kevindd992002

kevindd992002

Oct 4, 2021
@kevindd992002
I can't help you there, I believe I did upload the correct working and non-working images in that one post, but I don't have the time to test it again.

While I still have a few of those cards, I've since replaced most of them with Intel ones that didn't cause me as much of a headache, so I also no longer have any desire to get that working. It just isn't worth my time.

Why not buy a used X520-DA2, X710-DA2 or ConnectX-4 instead? They've come down in price quite a lot and all work without any issues for me. The newer E810 models however ... I updated the ice driver to the most recent version a week ago and one system promptly had a kernel panic while the VMs connected to SR-IOV VFs on another one no longer passed any traffic. So I went back to an older driver and it started working again.
That is exactly what I did actually, buy a CX4. So it's really too late for me to tinker with this CX3 to make sriov work.

Reactions: bandit8623

kevindd992002

Oct 4, 2021
even on a supposed supported connectx-3 sriov would not work properly. driver support is just dead for that line
How will it not work properly though? I'm seeing a lot of users using this card with sriov? I mean it works for me too but with an older fw?

bandit8623

May 25, 2021
How will it not work properly though? I'm seeing a lot of users using this card with sriov? I mean it works for me too but with an older fw?
well connectx can be picky. all i know with latest firm and latest drivers connex4 just works.

im sure there is a combo to get the older c onnectx3 card working, but on server 2022 latest firm and latest driver it would not work. even after fully enabling sriov in firmware via command line.