ConnectX-3 card not detected in Asrock EPYCD8-2T

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

psc

Jun 30, 2019
I picked up a nearly-new Epyc motherboard through the forums a few days ago, and for some reason it's not picking up my ConnectX-3 card at all (single port, 10GbE, I believe MCX311A-XCAT). I've tried multiple slots, and it's neither included in the IPMI inventory nor in lspci output, and there's no sign of the BOIS hooking in at boot time. I've tried it in slots where other cards work, and I've now swapped back in my old motherboard (an Intel desktop board) where it's working fine.

Has anyone come across anything similar before? Any ideas what I should try next?

psc

Jun 30, 2019
Nope. HPE upgrade, so a retail version. It was open box from a reseller, though, and very badly packaged. I'm assuming if it was a physical problem with the mobo or soc it would affect my RAID card in the same slot, too; that might be optimistic, but I'm not sure why. Mobo BIOS is current.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
You never know. I used to have a SM sandy bridge micro-atx mobo. 3 slots, but I could never get it to work with cards in all 3 slots. One of them would never show up. No rhyme or reason. Tried multiple BIOS versions, and said screw it - I don't really need all 3 slots...

psc

Jun 30, 2019
Discovered the NIC firmware was quite old; bumped it to latest and all is well.