ConnectX-2 EN - dual port cards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mtekk

May 22, 2015
Minnesota
Thanks, was able to snag one for 50. Arrived today, came with only the low profile bracket as pictured (now I need to hunt for a full height bracket). However, to my surprise, I was sent a CX312A (ConnectX-3 EN), not sure if it's much better, but I guess PCIe 3.0 support is a plus.

Reactions: Chuckleb

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
ConnectX-3 EN is far better card (that one is basically a connector neutered 40GbE adapter). Fantastic score on your part. Don't have mine yet (international) but maybe I will get lucky too ;)

Reactions: T_Minus

bug2th

Jan 7, 2015
I decided to try the 10G upgrade for my home lab and snagged 2 too. Just got them and one was CX2 and one CX3. Will be setting them up this weekend hopefully.

ConnectX-3 EN is far better card (that one is basically a connector neutered 40GbE adapter). Fantastic score on your part. Don't have mine yet (international) but maybe I will get lucky too ;)

Mar 7, 2015
I got one of the last ones for $50, and it was also a ConnectX-3 EN Low Profile. Just snagged a second ConnectX-3 EN for $80 as well. Can't wait to play with RDMA/ROCE and 2012R2 next week. Now to find a tall bracket.

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
Got mine today. and they were both Connect-3 EN cards. Awesome!

Bad news is both were damaged in transit. :( Both cards lost a capacitor and both had another nearly knocked off (same spot). Cards were not packaged well. If you got multiple cards and they were both in the same bag rubbing each other may be worth a look.

Not sure if fixing them is worth it (should be somewhat easy to solder) will have to see what the seller says ><

mtekk

May 22, 2015
Minnesota
Cards were not packaged well. If you got multiple cards and they were both in the same bag rubbing each other may be worth a look.
If I remember correctly, mine literally came in a small USPS flat-rate box with no additional padding/dunnage other than the static dissipative bag the card was in. Mine wasn't damaged, but I'm not terribly impressed with the packaging.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
This is how mine arrived. Top SFP latching tab is bent and the bottom SFP latching tab is broken off & missing.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2015
I got mine, made sure it was detected in Windows, verified connectivity over one of the ports, and then left feedback. It was only when I went to connect a cable to the second port that I noticed that the locking mechanism was broken. The second port does work, so I can't complain too much. Given that my card was shipped correctly inside of what looks like the original container, I can only assume that these cards were absolutely abused before they were resold.

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
If I remember correctly, mine literally came in a small USPS flat-rate box with no additional padding/dunnage other than the static dissipative bag the card was in. Mine wasn't damaged, but I'm not terribly impressed with the packaging.
Yeah that is how mine was as well. 2 cards back to back in a single static bag in a small USPS box. Bounced and rubbed to hell hence my damage. 2 bags or a bit of foam between would of fixed it.

Still haven't heard back from the seller . Sigh.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
I would probably not try to fix them. Unless you were 100% certain that whatever job you could do would last through the ages like a "factory-finish" you're basically out 100 bucks to fix something that the idiot seller should've done a better job of packing. At that point, the sale honestly becomes an "as is, for parts" sale, which, in my eyes is worth no where near 100 bucks. Maybe like 10, lol. So yeah, get a replacement or your money and take your business elsewhere.

On a side note, has anyone bought the connectx-2 cards from liquid8technology on ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mellanox-Co...993?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item463b890831

Those brackets look trashed, was just wondering if they all came like that? lol or if it's just a dumb picture they're using...

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
On a side note, has anyone bought the connectx-2 cards from liquid8technology on ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mellanox-Co...993?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item463b890831

Those brackets look trashed, was just wondering if they all came like that? lol or if it's just a dumb picture they're using...
I bought ten of them at $20 each. They're all fully functional, but one did have a bent bracket. It actually ended up ripping the little plastic LED light-transfer thing right off the PCB. All said and done, it was worth the (cheap) cost. They didn't all come with the same level of firmware, either. If I had to do it over, I would.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
Is the best place to get the low profile brackets still through that one website I saw you post about in your WTB thread? can't remember right now. The site that gets them from the manufacturer and then ships to you.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I just checked the few I got, and 1 is bent similar. Probably still functional.