Connecting disks to downstream ports on expander?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jcl333

May 28, 2011
I have a SM 16-port SAS2 EL1 single expander backplane.

Has anyone tried connecting drives to the downstream ports using a breakout cable?

I have an Intel RES3CV360 that can do this, the downstream ports intended to connect more expanders can also be used just for more disks.

My use case is connecting more internal drives, and/or connecting to rear-mounted 2.5" SAS bays.

Thanks

-JCL

jcl333

May 28, 2011
Yeah, you connect a breakout cable to one of the "out" ports on the expander and hook up 4 drives.
Hello, thanks for the reply. So, you have actually tried this?

There are two downstream ports even on the single expander backplane, can you use both? If this works I would image so, and I could add 8x more disks mounted internally, which would be awesome.

Thanks

-JCL

vanfawx

Jan 4, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
I've done this a couple times now with both 2 and 4U expander based JBOD's from supermicro. As long as you don't care about connecting any other expanders, yes, you can use those ports for disks.

jcl333

May 28, 2011
I've done this a couple times now with both 2 and 4U expander based JBOD's from supermicro. As long as you don't care about connecting any other expanders, yes, you can use those ports for disks.
Awesome, thank you very much. Ordering cables off Amazon now ;-)

-JCL