Connecting Cisco UCS 6248UP switch to Cisco Nexus 5020

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
I was thinking about using the cisco SFP-H10GB-CU1M DAC to connect the two switches (switches are in a rack on top of each other). I notice that this is a passive cable and was wondering if they would work to connect the switch together? Also what is the difference between a passive cable and a normal cable?

rune-san

Feb 7, 2014
Keep in mind that the 6248 is a Fabric Interconnect. While it has functions of a switch, its administration and operation is very different from a standard Nexus switch.

You can use the cable just fine. A passive cable is a cable that has transceivers on each side sending the data with nothing in between but the copper wires. An active able has additional components on each side of the length that are designed to measure, clean, and shape the signal traversing the cable. This is done on longer runs (after about 5-7m depending on speeds, it becomes impractical to do a passive cable).

It's worth noting, that most switches nowadays have the signal shaping circuitry built into the port itself. Those few switches that don't must use active cables for any length. Both the Nexus 5020 and the 6248 Fabric Interconnect have active circuitry built into the port, so you don't need to use active cables unless your lengths are longer than about 7m for 10gb.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
Thanks @rune-san for the explanation.

The reason for the 6248 is that I have a Cisco UCS blade chassis connected to it and need to connect to the Nexus 5020 for storage connections. I would be using 1m cables so distance isn't and issue.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
What if one end is Passive and one is Active, would I need a Passive cable?
What if both ends a Passive, I take it I would use a Passive cable?