Connecting 6610 uplink port to router

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hamman88

May 23, 2022
I've been working on a big networking project for about 6 months now and I'm working on getting ready for a move to a colo, so I'm prepping for 10g on my rack. I've accumulated quite a pile of Brocade 6610's thanks to you guys and fohdeesha that I've been using with normal 1g copper. I've just took the plunge into SFP+ and have hit quite a snag.

I'm running OPNsense on a Dell R210ii and for the life of me I cannot connect to the Brocade SFP+ ports. The Dell has an Intel SFP+ card installed that I have confirmed works by connecting to another Intel SFP+ card on a PC. But when I connect the cable from the router to the Brocade 10g uplink I get nothing! No lights and OPNsense shows it as not connected to anything, but does recognize the router port as working. I have tried using fiber with Brocade SFP+ transceivers and DAC's. When I connect two of the switches together using fiber or DAC's I get some lights coming on (not sure if that's useful for diagnosing or not here).

So, I've done all I can on my end research wise and troubleshooting wise. My fate is in your hands. I'm sure I'm just doing something dumb.

Also, SUPER excited to find this forum. Looking foreward to spending a lot of time here.

hamman88

May 23, 2022

iZohanX

May 21, 2021
+1 on what LodeRunner said.
In my experience, you need to set the duplex speed manually to 10G on that port, and of course make sure that it is licensed for 10G.

Cause me quite the embarrassment some time ago, I had tried to connect a new service to my 6610's and both of them didn't recognize the transceiver, I blamed the transceiver. It was replaced and still didn't work, my networking-brain was apparently turned off up to this point, as it suddenly dawned on me that since this is a managed switch, it isn't a "given" that it auto-negotiates the speed. Once I set the duplex speed to 10G, it instantly lit up and I was up and running.