Configuring "new" BladeCenter S 8886 assistance

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

philm

Dec 19, 2015
Hello everoyne,

I am new to the forum and I believe that this is an appropriate place to ask this question. Although, if you feel that there is another place that is more suitable, please let me know.

We have recently acquired a used BladeCenter S 8886. We have been attempting to set it up for the past few days; however, we have not had much progress.

Basically, what is happening is that when you turn on the server, there is a black screen and it stays as a black screen. For now, we are only using one of the blades. The error codes indicate everything is fine but there is no video output. We have attempted to cycle through the KVM; however, there is nothing. On the keyboard, the NUM lock, CAPS lock and SCROLL lock indicators are either flashing or cycling through. WE are connecting the monitor to the advance management module. Along with the keyboard and mouse

Reading the manual, we have been trying to connect to the server via ssh but this has not yielded any results. We also pressed the rest on the module to restore back to factory default settings

I think I overheard someone say that I would need to connect to the serial port on the back in order to first set it up; however, the serial port is blocked off. This means one of two things, the original owner placed this plug in so that someone doesn't accidentally connect this port to the internet or it is non-functional. Probable the first instead of the second.

However, I would like to turn to the community to ask what is the best approach to set this sever up? Should I attempt to the connect to the serial port or is there a better method?

Thank you for your assistance

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Where did you get it from? Another idea might be to see if you can find an IBM partner to get some of the initial setup done. If you can get the individual in remotely, there might be someone out there willing to try for a few hours to get it up and running.

philm

Dec 19, 2015
We received it from a friend's garage. It is a bit of a story but that is where it came from

ultradense

Feb 2, 2015
May be a dump question, but can your monitor support the low resolution of boot? We have some old monitors (TFT and CRT) lying around for these oldies...

philm

Dec 19, 2015
Good news everyone, we were able to figure it out. It was really stupid but the power button was very hidden on these guys. We also found out how to connect to the advance management module. Had to set computer as a static IP.

Thank you

Reactions: Chuckleb