Configuring 10GB Switchless Link Between ESXi Hosts

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cgtechuk

Dec 27, 2016
Hi All,

Hope you can help.

I have 3 ESXi Hosts and all have local storage on them no SAN yet and are all linked via a normal 1 GB Switch with the following config:

eSXI_1 (10.0.0.101)
eSXI_2 (10.0.0.102)
eSXI_3 (10.0.0.103)

eSXi_1 has a VCenter VM installed on it that controls all 3 hosts from it.

eSXi 2 and eSXi 3 both have a 10GB Network NIC between them and there is a direct link (Switchless) between both machines. (I setup a VLAN 1 and the IP fro eSXi_2 is 10.0.10.100 and eSXi_3 is 10.0.10.200) so they are on different subnets from each other and each Network has its own switch on it with only that NIC attached to it

What I want to do is configure it so that when VCenter on eSXi_1 says move all storage for this VM from eSXi_2 to eSXi_3 using VMotion I want it to use the 10GB Nic for this and not anything else, How is this configured is there a guide anywhere?

Im simple terms, I have 3 Esxi Hosts and 2 are linked together via 10GB how do I communicate and VMotion between them using the 10GB NIC and have everything else using the 1GB Network