[COMPLETE] [NY-SERVICE REQUEST] Fix bent pins in mobo

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Not sure if this is the best place... Thought about posting in motherboards but since it's a service request...

Our school was donated an X10DAL-i with 6-10 pins that look bent in CPU2 and CPU1 may have 1 or 2 slightly bent.

Is anyone available to fix this?

My eyes are not good enough to tell, and I can't get my cell for a close enough pic.

Supermicro says they no longer repair out-of-warranty boards! So, I'm kinda stuck.

I wanted to replace the schools server with this board before the school year ends as we may not come back next year. It's an elementary school that I volunteer my time at.

Reactions: Samir

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Wow, lots of help and support from everyone in this thread! Thank you all for the PMs!

At this time, it looks like we are taken care of! Marsh's offering is overwhelming and another member offer to try to fix it for free.

I'll post a follow-up when all done. Thanks again! Just wow...

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I installed 64gb DDR4 ram , couple of v3 CPU, booted Windows Server 2016. ran some quick tests.

Bios is at 2.0a version, I leaving the BIOS as is, since you are planning to run V4 ES CPU.
Latest BIOS may not support ES CPU.

I am shipping the X10 board , 64gb RAM , couple of boot SSD.

Tomorrow, I'll look for couple of HeatSink ( normal size 2011-3 ), a box.
Will try to get the package to UPS store on Saturday.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
This is just too much!

This school has been limping along with 2006/8-era equipment until HDDs started failing. I got them on a couple of old desktops as servers for a while.

This generously affords us to put them on a reliable system with raid1 / raid10 setup for things like library and remote access to that catalogs and planning boards (so teachers can update/schedule from home).

This community is awesome.

• Love
Reactions: Samir and Marsh

Marsh

May 12, 2013
FYI
I found a single E5 v4 CPU, installed the single CPU. Boot up fine with bios 2.0.a
Since I have only one CPU installed, I found the video card needs to be installed in the middle of 3 PCIe x 16 slot.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
FYI
I found a single E5 v4 CPU, installed the single CPU. Boot up fine with bios 2.0.a
Since I have only one CPU installed, I found the video card needs to be installed in the middle of 3 PCIe x 16 slot.
Oh, that's right. There is no VGA port on that board (nor the X10DAL either).

Was looking at what slot to put the GPU into and saw that on the block diagram that 1/2 the slots are for CPU1, the other 1/2 for CPU2, and the one closest to the CPUs is connected to the PCH.

Funny enough, that X10DAL has all PCIe slots connected to CPU1 - except one obscure 8x slot towards the end. Never seen a dual processor board with all slots connected like that to a single CPU (so you could stick the GPU in any x16 slot with a single CPU).

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
Glad you got helped out! I am in Boston, but am quite good with bent pins - just fixed some on a server a few minutes ago, in-fact! :)