Compatible SFP+ cable for Mikrotik CRS226-24G-2S+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EeyoreDK

Jul 29, 2015
Hi

I am very new to the 10GB networking and need some help getting the correct cable.

My initial setup will be two Mikrotik CRS226-24G-2S+ switches connected with at 20 meter cable.

Does this cable work for this setup? Avago AFBR-2CAR20Z 10G SFP+ Active Optical Cable | FS.COM

It is just about the only cable I can get in Denmark (140$) that won't ruin me financially :).

Edit:
Hmm, the cable I can get in Denmark is this one, not sure that they are exactly the same.

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/140d/0900766b8140df30.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Renwick

pc_doom

Nov 2, 2016
These two AOC cables are the same. But for the distance about 20 meters, you'd better choose a 10G SR module with fiber patch cables, 10G SR SFP fiber transceiver from FS.COM is just $16http://www.fs.com/products/11552.html, and a 20m duplex LC patch cable is about $6.6http://www.fs.com/products/40205.html. You need two 10G SR SFP+s and one 20m LC fiber patch cable, and the total cost is $38.6(haven't conclude the shipping), which is much cheaper than AOC cable, and you can get more reliable bandwidth and performance. Make sure the SFP you choose is compatible with your switch, you can consult their online sale representative first.

Reactions: EeyoreDK

EeyoreDK

Jul 29, 2015
Thanks for your help pc_doom. Looks like I will have to order it at fs and hope that it won't get noticed at the Danish customs, otherwise the price will double :(, but still cheaper than anything I can get in Denmark :).

One additional question. Will this cable be able to support 40GB (with other tranceivers) if I upgrade in the future? The cable routing is going to be a pain in the a**, so it would be nice if it was somewhat "futureproof".

Last edited:

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Another option could be to order Mikrotik transceivers from Interprojekt (from Poland) (and the cable from something like av-cables.dk), I have ordered from them multiple times and have never had any issues. They are a bit more expensive (just over 40 euro each ex. VAT) than that cable from fs.com but, at least it's from within EU and their shipping costs are reasonable. Note that Interprojekt also sells another brand of transceivers that is slightly cheaper, at around 27 euro each ex. VAT.

By the way, do you already have the CRS226's? If you don't you might want to look at the CSS326 switches, which are quite a bit cheaper.

Reactions: EeyoreDK

EeyoreDK

Jul 29, 2015
Thanks for the tip RTM. I will look into that. I have one CRS226 that i bought used, and was thinking of getting a CSS326, if I can't find another CRS226 at a fair price.

pc_doom

Nov 2, 2016
Thanks for your help pc_doom. Looks like I will have to order it at fs and hope that it won't get noticed at the Danish customs, otherwise the price will double :(, but still cheaper than anything I can get in Denmark :).

One additional question. Will this cable be able to support 40GB (with other tranceivers) if I upgrade in the future? The cable routing is going to be a pain in the a**, so it would be nice if it was somewhat "futureproof".
If you still use QSFP+ module with LC interface, of course you can reuse this patch cable. But for 40G connection, optical module with MTP interface and MTP fiber patch cable is more advisable. If you feel puzzled with the difference between LC interfaced and MTP interfaced QSFP+, you can read this article first. 40G Transceivers With MTP/MPO Interface vs. 40G Transceivers With LC Interface

Reactions: Jerry Renwick