Compatible server/chassis/disk shelf for Samsung P1633a, model MZILS7T60

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

golfatx

Dec 31, 2018
I've got 12 of these SAS SSD's, but can't seem to find a server or any hardware that is compatible with these Samsung disks. I've tried a Dell 630 and 730XD, but the controller shows them as 'Blocked'. Is there an option to flash Dell F/W to the disk? My initial research indicates it's not possible.

Edit - The current controller is a H730P mini in HBA mode

I'm really just looking for hardware that can utilize these Samsung disks.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
this is likely a multi-step process but you've not provided enough information to give you specific paths to explore.

get an hba or raid controller to see the drives
determine if the current drives' formats are compatible or you need to change that (512, 520, 528, encryption, type 2, type 3 protection et al)
OS needs - are you using a hardware raid controller at the end or software raid, if software then do can you flash your controller to IT mode.

but the controller shows them as 'Blocked'. Is there an option to flash Dell F/W to the disk? My initial research indicates it's not possible.
you've actually written your first step right there. Research that for the specific contorller you have. Its been pretty well documented that DELL has published controller firmware that locks in their eco systems however for some controllers, downgrading firmware, or upgrading firmware has removed this lock - you'll need to search around base don the specific controller you have.

You may also find its easier to simply get a simple HBA - lsi 3008 IT mode controller to see the drives and then see if you have to reblock them and/or remove protection from the drives and/or remove encryption

hopefully I've provided some avenues of research that make sense to you.

golfatx

Dec 31, 2018
this is likely a multi-step process but you've not provided enough information to give you specific paths to explore.

get an hba or raid controller to see the drives
determine if the current drives' formats are compatible or you need to change that (512, 520, 528, encryption, type 2, type 3 protection et al)
OS needs - are you using a hardware raid controller at the end or software raid, if software then do can you flash your controller to IT mode.

you've actually written your first step right there. Research that for the specific contorller you have. Its been pretty well documented that DELL has published controller firmware that locks in their eco systems however for some controllers, downgrading firmware, or upgrading firmware has removed this lock - you'll need to search around base don the specific controller you have.

You may also find its easier to simply get a simple HBA - lsi 3008 IT mode controller to see the drives and then see if you have to reblock them and/or remove protection from the drives and/or remove encryption

hopefully I've provided some avenues of research that make sense to you.
You've been a huge help, thank you! I've edit my OP to show I'm using a Perc H730P mini, but a simple HBA is also a good idea. I'll research this specific controller and see if there's a FW version that will "unblock" the disks