Compatible Replacement Drive for ZFS Pool

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
I currently have...

24x
Hitachi 5K3000 2TB (HDS5C3020ALA632, PN 0F12117); 5400rpm coolspin
- 512b sector drives
- ashift = 9
- zfs v5, pool v31

(Sol 11.3 if that matters)

In a Norco 4224 (Green backplanes IIRC, have not tested above 2tb but believe they are unlikely 3tb compatible)

- I'm already down 2 drives and think I hear another slowly making more noise, what replacement drives would be suitable?
- Can I force a new 4k, or 512e to work with my existing pool?

Rain

May 13, 2013
what replacement drives would be suitable?
WD Reds, Seagate IronWolfs, or the "Pro" version of either?

Can I force a new 4k, or 512e to work with my existing pool?
512e drives should definitely work. They present 512 byte sectors to the system and should be compatible as replacement disks in your existing pool.

In a Norco 4224 (Green backplanes IIRC, have not tested above 2tb but believe they are unlikely 3tb compatible)
Unless something has changed, I didn't think Norco used SAS expanders or anything that would cause issues with >2TB drives. Assuming your "green" backplanes are what mine used to be in my old Norco, there is a single 8087 connector per 4-drive backplane, correct? 6 8087 cables total?

Your HBA/SATA Controller is what must support >2TB drives; those backplanes shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoofyHSK

Rain

May 13, 2013
Yes, that's the backplane I was thinking of. You shouldn't have any issues with 3TB (or larger) drives on that.

Reactions: GoofyHSK