Compatibility Free/TrueNAS Chelsio T420/580 eth speed.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Derwood

May 22, 2019
Hey folks,

I was wondering and have been asking around concerning a few Chelsio T4x & T5x (UWAs), I'm waiting on a delivery to test out the Chelsio T420 within my Free/TrueNAS server which will raise the throughput to 10GbE per port (roughly), but I'm also embarking on testing the T580 which has two QSFP ports (fits in well with my 36x QSFP-40GbE switch) but I'm wondering if there will be any limitations.

Seems stupid right, but some of my current CX-2 NICs even though support IPoIB cannot get past 10GbE using IPoIB even while rated on a 40GbE channel link, I'm wondering if anyone could confirm that the T580 while rated at 40GbE per QSFP port will roughly run at the same speed when installed under Free/TrueNAS or will I be limited again to 10GbE per port and wasting £100+ on a board when the T420 could just do the job for now.

If anyone has ran the numbers of using said T580, I would love to hear from you :)
Kind regards,
Derwood

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Seems stupid right, but some of my current CX-2 NICs even though support IPoIB cannot get past 10GbE using IPoIB even while rated on a 40GbE channel link, I'm wondering if anyone could confirm that the T580 while rated at 40GbE per QSFP port will roughly run at the same speed when installed under Free/TrueNAS or will I be limited again to 10GbE per port and wasting £100+ on a board when the T420 could just do the job for now.
I had to read your post multiple times to understand it.

10GBE = 10 Gigabit/s Ethernet
IPoIB = Internet Protocol over Infiniband
Ethernet and Infiniband are two different technologies with different network stacks.

The connect-x2 do not support faster than 10 GBit/s ethernet in that generation (https://www.mellanox.com/related-docs/prod_adapter_cards/6733_ConnectX2_VPI_V2.pdf).

If you don't get the expected performance start troubleshooting: use a tool like iperf2/3 or ntttcp to eliminate damaged hardware as a cause, then use tools like fio/crystaldiskmark to determine if your storage is the limiting factor.

Reactions: cactus and Derwood

Derwood

May 22, 2019
I had to read your post multiple times to understand it.

10GBE = 10 Gigabit/s Ethernet
IPoIB = Internet Protocol over Infiniband
Ethernet and Infiniband are two different technologies with different network stacks.

The connect-x2 do not support faster than 10 GBit/s ethernet in that generation (https://www.mellanox.com/related-docs/prod_adapter_cards/6733_ConnectX2_VPI_V2.pdf).

If you don't get the expected performance start troubleshooting: use a tool like iperf2/3 or ntttcp to eliminate damaged hardware as a cause, then use tools like fio/crystaldiskmark to determine if your storage is the limiting factor.
Well I hope T580 not limited to 10GbE per port as it lists 40GbE and me try soon. Tried making as simple as possible.