Comcast 2Gbps Internet - Anyone?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
Finally getting 1Gbs down where I am now if they could just work on the upload speeds only get 10Mbs up. Would love to have something like that service though

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
Interesting article seeing all that they went through to get the service to that house. I can pretty much see their Vault from my house and spent almost 2 months trying to get the service that "Is available in my area" but not at my house at this point.

I wonder if it had something to do with the group of people canvasing my neighborhood asking people if they would be interested in a new / high-speed Internet Service but didn't really give any details.

Then again maybe it has something to do with me trying to get a better price and totally calling them out on their contract that they want signed for the service.

And for the record this is NOT a "Business Service" they do not offer any kind of SLA and the Bandwidth is not guaranteed.

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
Did my "monthly comcast gig pro call" and finally got a useful rep. Looks like gig pro is coming to my place in MA.
Good luck and keep us posted, they wasted my time for almost 2 months saying I could get it until it came time to actually sign up for it. BTW - Make sure you read the contract, even their lawyers admit it is a little ambiguous.

NSKA

Nov 17, 2015
Good luck and keep us posted, they wasted my time for almost 2 months saying I could get it until it came time to actually sign up for it. BTW - Make sure you read the contract, even their lawyers admit it is a little ambiguous.
I am really impressed with this local rep I got, great person and has been really making sure I get to the right people. I am going to have a lawyer read over the contract, do you mind elaborating on the ambiguous part @Pete L. ?

Reactions: Pete L.

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
I am really impressed with this local rep I got, great person and has been really making sure I get to the right people. I am going to have a lawyer read over the contract, do you mind elaborating on the ambiguous part @Pete L. ?
I don't have the contract with me here, but it was very generic and much shorter than one would think. They refer to their Terms of Service a lot which is fine and they can change.

The part that got me was part about payment, terms and cancellation, basically it reads that Comcast can technically raise the price on the service whenever they want without any notice and you are still locked in to the contract and obligated to pay. Their lawyer said that isn't the way it is intended but did agree that it was vague and can be construed the way that I read / interpreted it. I asked for it to be clarified and they refused.

You mentioned MA? I assume Massachusetts? If so you should be dealing with the office out of NH, I was dealing with Hanna and Alex. Alex was great, Hannah not so much. They told me to check back with them in a year or two and maybe I will be able to get the service.

Good luck I was all set to buy the PFSense 10G Firewall and all but they denied me.

NSKA

Nov 17, 2015
Ok thanks for that note, I will most definitely be skeptical about it all. I did get a good rep named Julie.

Also I was planing to run PF on an R210ii, assumed thats enough to route WAN at a few gigs.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
waiting on cox out by me to get "gigablast" but it will be at least 6-12 months. I am pretty happy with my 350/30 right now though, but upload is king. I would rather have 100/100

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
So @Patrick when are you getting it? I picture your home having a data center in the basement.
I actually have very little at home now. Just 1 Xeon D hypervisor, 2 NAS units (primary and backup) a workstation and laptop.

No basement since it is California.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
I actually have very little at home now. Just 1 Xeon D hypervisor, 2 NAS units (primary and backup) a workstation and laptop.

No basement since it is California.
Donno if i'd want to run any spinners either over there, one quake and it's as good as dban.