Comcast 2Gbps Internet - Anyone?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mjygvfesz

Nov 14, 2014
US ISPs are full of ironies like that. That's why Google, the perceived anti-isp is so welcomed. It's in their best interest to collect as much data as possible that's probably why there are no caps. Honestly I can't wait for google fiber if it ever comes to Portland Oregon. (Which it won't because the politicians here are idiots.)
You got a better chance to get fiber then i do in Tacoma, WA. Talk about a bunch of idiots.

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
You got a better chance to get fiber then i do in Tacoma, WA. Talk about a bunch of idiots.
In my area every township and city is in bed with the local cable company. The city/township has a contract with one of the two cable companies stating that they (the cable co) can provide service in the area as long as there is a franchise fee charged to the customer. All the townships and cities collect the franchise fee from the cable co.

We will never see competition because of that, other than local ILEC's of course.

The local governments claim that the fee is there to cover use of township-owned property via right-of-way and the fees associated with maintaining that property. In my area that's really BS. The franchise fee is $7.90 and there are 14,000 customers. That's $11600.00 for the use of property. The catch is that the only non-privately owned property in the township is the township hall and 1 fire station. 1.3 acres of land total. The township hall has no cables lines on the property and the fire station has one power pole with cable TV on it. Every other piece of land is owned by a private party and is maintained by the private party.

Nice system eh?

Last edited:

NSKA

Nov 17, 2015
So I decided to give Comcast a call about this service.

In the Boston area.
299/m
500 install fee
20/m for ACX2100 (I cannot believe how nice this router is)
30/m for unmetered bandwidth (I dont really believe this tbh

I might switch to this actually I'll think about it and see if what the lady said about the ACX2100 is true.

Reactions: gigatexal

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
So $329 unmetered? What is the bandwidth limit if you do not get unmetered? I called, got disconnected before getting to talk to someone.

Pete L.

Nov 8, 2015
Beantown, MA
I just found out from a Comcast Tech visiting the DC I work in that they are offering this in my area. It took me two weeks to get information on it but pretty much everything that has been said here is true.

$299 / Month - Static IP Address unlimited bandwidth ( This is Not their Consumer Network)
$29 a Month for the Juniper ACX 2100 Router you can also get a Netgear Modem in addition for another $19 / Mo I believe (not instead of).
2Gb/Sec up and down.
$500 Equipment Fee
$500 - Activation Fee
The ETF is a little unknown as they never Clearly State it but I believe it is $1200 - $50 per month.

I've been told and see some posts that people have been able to get this for much less if you agree to a 3 year contract. I've seen as low as $159 / Month (plus additional charges) mentioned above. I would jump all over that in a second if I could get that price.

I am one of the lucky ones that has FIOS but they are not cheap (yes its relative) but for me to get 300 / 300 from them I would pay much more than the 2Gb from Comcast. I've been trying to get faster speed at my house (I have 75/75) and they want ME to pay to upgrade Their ONT which is not going to happen.

You really want to see a heck of a deal check this out.

Plans and Prices - US Internet

Imagine if we actually had competition instead of "Cartels" =(

aero

Apr 27, 2016
The $159/month was a promotional deal they had running in areas where they're threatened by Google Fiber and AT&T Gigapower. The Comcast GigabitPro service is supposedly available at my house, but I've called and talked to them on multiple occasions and they wouldn't budge on the $300/month pricing.

Also, since Comcast is now rolling out Docsis 3.1 to support gigabit speeds over existing infrastructure, there is absolutely no incentive for them to expand the 2Gb/s metro-e fiber offering which is essentially a loss-leader.

edit: and yeah, the average plebe won't be turned off by the 1000/35 package Comcast is pushing with Docsis 3.1, while most on this forum would scoff at such lowly upload.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I just found out from a Comcast Tech visiting the DC I work in that they are offering this in my area. It took me two weeks to get information on it but pretty much everything that has been said here is true.

$299 / Month - Static IP Address unlimited bandwidth ( This is Not their Consumer Network)
$29 a Month for the Juniper ACX 2100 Router you can also get a Netgear Modem in addition for another $19 / Mo I believe (not instead of).
2Gb/Sec up and down.
$500 Equipment Fee
$500 - Activation Fee
The ETF is a little unknown as they never Clearly State it but I believe it is $1200 - $50 per month.

I've been told and see some posts that people have been able to get this for much less if you agree to a 3 year contract. I've seen as low as $159 / Month (plus additional charges) mentioned above. I would jump all over that in a second if I could get that price.

I am one of the lucky ones that has FIOS but they are not cheap (yes its relative) but for me to get 300 / 300 from them I would pay much more than the 2Gb from Comcast. I've been trying to get faster speed at my house (I have 75/75) and they want ME to pay to upgrade Their ONT which is not going to happen.

You really want to see a heck of a deal check this out.

Plans and Prices - US Internet

Imagine if we actually had competition instead of "Cartels" =(
I've got the Fios 150/150 package and would love to move up to the 300/300 package myself but almost double the cost. They just don't make it worth it for most to pay for it.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
At least you have some competition. AT&T around here is running first-gen UVerse gear 18/1.5 (600GB cap at $50/month for the first 12 months, then don't ask how much) and since Time Warner has no competition there hasn't been the stick for them to upgrade the current fastest speed in the region of 50/5 ($109/month).

Given the money spent to grease politicians, no other providers can enter the area.