Comcast 2Gbps Internet - Anyone?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
Interesting. Looks like this is straight up FTTH.
Lucky guys.. no DOCSIS 3.0 32x8 channels or 802.3ah or FTTH available where I am.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
@gigatexal nickel and dime... or sell your soul

;)
Sometimes those targeted ads work and I find an app or a product that is actually useful given that they've been tracking my searches and reading my email. Sure it borders on the line of creepy but hey sometimes it works. And id rather have google than Comcast like I'd rather live in the Hilton than be shot :)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
nah give me google fiber and call it a day, comcast will place a cap on it and nickel and dime you
No Google Fiber here. Probably since one of their Mountain View campuses where a lot of the Google Apps for Work team sits is 5 blocks away.

zetlali

Jul 28, 2014
I've actually been doing some research into what's involved. Apparently there are no data caps on the 2Gb service and they give you a static IP. To get the full 2Gbps, they provide an ACX2100 which you can connect to via a 10Gb SFP port.

Reactions: gigatexal

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
From what I've seen, this is more of a marketing ploy by Comcast than an actual product, though. They claim that 18M addresses are eligible, but from reading random forums, it sounds like 1-2% of the people who try actually succeed in getting an order in. I tried a couple months back and it took multiple sales people to even find one who understood what I was talking about, and then they decided that I was too expensive to serve so they dropped me.

OTOH, it does sound like the few people who have managed to get it do get what they pay for--it's delivered via SFP+, with static IPs and no caps. And also CPE hardware that lists for more than the lifetime revenue of the service, which might explain why they're not installing very many of them.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
I've actually been doing some research into what's involved. Apparently there are no data caps on the 2Gb service and they give you a static IP. To get the full 2Gbps, they provide an ACX2100 which you can connect to via a 10Gb SFP port.
wow, so for 300 a month with 1k up front you get business class service? sure there's no SLA and such but a static ip is huge.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
with them being so close that actually makes no sense. You would think they'd saturate the area around them filling their surroundings with more google goodness.
Yea but we have Google Shopping Express!

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Kind of ridiculous to have a 200GB or 500GB limit on that speed @ that price...

Diavuno

It's been done on residential service with and without the xfinity label.

Ive been told you get flagged for being within the top 1% of data usage in your area, but if your data = twice the data of the average in the 1% you get handed off to the fraud department. They auto disconnect you until you call in (on yay! Calling Comcast!!)

This 2gb service says nothing about business, but I bet it has heavy penalties for misuse. And a non refundable install that's prorated on service terms.

Crockett

Dec 8, 2015
Whats the point of giving those speeds away and capping shit ?
Not living in the US but isn't that just hitting yourself with a hammer ( company wise ) if you start capping those extremely expensive lines?

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
US ISPs are full of ironies like that. That's why Google, the perceived anti-isp is so welcomed. It's in their best interest to collect as much data as possible that's probably why there are no caps. Honestly I can't wait for google fiber if it ever comes to Portland Oregon. (Which it won't because the politicians here are idiots.)

Reactions: Diavuno