Comcast 2Gbps Internet - Anyone?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Has anyone used the Comcast 2Gbps service? Gigabit Internet Plans by XFINITY® from Comcast

California Locations
Chico, Fresno, Marysville/Yuba City, Merced, Modesto, Monterey, Mountainview, Oakland, Palo Alto, Sacramento, Salinas, San Francisco Bay Area, San Jose, Santa Barbara County, Santa Clara, Stockton and Visalia metro areas, Sunnyvale
Might be close to me! It looks like a 2 year term and $500 setup + $500 activation.

upload_2016-2-2_16-21-56.png

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
I didn't even know they did this. I bet there's some shady cap like 10GB download and then $10/GB after that.

I fear you're about to build a datacenter in your living room.

cperalt1

Feb 23, 2015
That would definitely be nice :) I just moved to new Construction (Apartment Complex). My unit is next to the telecom closet where AT&T has fiber installed but they will not do more than 18mega-bits/s. Currently have Comcast at 150 mega-bits/s Will have to see if this is available and if so I'll have to ask if I can expense as part of telecommute.

William

May 7, 2015
Drool worthy for sure.
Bit costly to get into the game tho :(
Don't know if my area has ... wait it says Stockton...

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
If I could get 1Gbps and business acct/service/static IP's for 1/2 that price (say $150 monthly) I'd be all over that pkg.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I'd prefer Comcast Business w/no caps over 2Gig w/200-500GB cap :( all my friends in the city either go Comcast Biz or Comcast Home Bundle + Biz. At-least they let you add a "biz" to a home that has home too!! I wish Comcast Business to a legit office wasn't so ridiculously expensive to get "installed". I've been quoted 25,000 to 500,000 to "install comcast" in an office where comcast has lines literally running right by the building. When we rented a house ~10 years ago there was NO comcast installed, they had to come out and chew up the street, the concrete walk way, and trench to the house and they charged.... $0 install !!! Yet a business they want xx,xxx to half million?! ?!?! LOL

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
@Patrick sorry, I don't know about the 2Gb but the other residential have caps based on location. I know around Sacramento when you login to your XFINITY account it says something like "NO CAP", but have heard they do slow you down after 200.

Some other locations have hard caps and really slow you down, but I heard that was due to NO competition... we obviously have a lot out here.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
@T_Minus is it really 200-500GB caps on the 2Gb service?
No caps here on data in Denver and I will RAISE HELL if they ever do, heard they were selectively testing this BS in some markets (AKA read markets w/ slim to nil other options). I already have a pre-canned excellent response if I ever need to pull the trigger.

I chew 400-600GB monthly through my modem from comcast and would be GONE so fast if I got hit w/ a cap @ 200-300GB, they have some other nonsense you can do to get unlimited but it's like a $40-50 add-on...talk abt raping the consumer. Guess they claim some nonsense like 5-10% of their customers (hell maybe even smaller) fall into this 'high usage category'. NET NEUTRALITY FOOLS...DIG IT!

I hope the FCC FINALLY eats these clowns for breakfast...that and the cellular companies that have what I love to call 'unlimited limited' plans.

Last edited:

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Too bad it's comcrap.
This too.

Browsing on comcast feels slower than browsing on my old school T1. Not just at one location, but everyone I know who has comcast when I browse at their house it's TERRIBLY SLOW LAGGY feeling.

Now, downloading large files obviously comcast wins by a HUGE margin.

NSKA

Nov 17, 2015
I've called Cogent, Hibernia, GTT, Telia and Comcast Metro-E all of which have quoted around 1000-2000$/m because they would have to rent a fibre loop from Verizon ugh. Verizon and Comcast are the only people who have fibre loops in my area so all these companies need to rent. I am concerned about use Verizon Buisness or Comcast Buisness because I dont feel like they are legit internet service and Comcast Buisness is coax, how do you guys feel about Coax?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
The people I know who use Comcast business like it, they aren't running servers that are mission critical or the like but for the $$ (not 1-2k) it's worth it to not be throttled or limited. Is it the same class as an ATT Fiber circuit nope... but it's better than home DSL or Comcast. In the region of the Capital they have Surewest too, which is another cheap provider.

Quasduco

Nov 16, 2015
Tennessee
Comcast has started trial'n a 300GB cap:

Comcast Is Putting a Monthly Data Cap on Home Internet | Credit.com

I hate Verizon but at least they start giving you funny looks instead of attempting to nickle and dime you death like Comcrap.
That is nothing new - when I lived in Atlanta, they had a 275GB cap. It started probably 3 years ago, IIRC...

They have the worst customer service, no morals, and must have black holes in their pockets with all of the money they want...

coolrunnings82

Mar 26, 2012
I switched from residential Comcast a few months into their capping program here in Tucson, Arizona. 350gb for their "blast" package? Are you kidding me? Switched to business class and no caps, no idiots raising my rate every month, and so far, pretty solid connectivity. Obviously not fiber or anything but $135/mo for an 85/15 isn't that bad.

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
I can get the 2gb at my house. If it wasn't $300 a month I would be all over it. At $200/mo it would sell.