Colocation Router Needed

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bradford

May 27, 2016
Hello,

I've been colocating a 2U server for a few months, and it's become apparent that my ER-X router isn't enough. With hardware offloading turned on (and possibly because of Wireguard), it's unreliable, with it turned off it limits bandwidth to 300Mb.

I'm considering a ER-4, but it would require me getting an extra U of space, whereas the ER-X is just zip tied to the back of the server. Any gigabit capable routers that are smaller or better than the ER-4? I'm willing to consider Mikrotik but because the colocation is at the other end of the planet from me, replacing it might be more difficult. But I am willing to consider it if the advantage is good enough.

Thanks

chicken-of-the-cave

Mar 13, 2020
Would you consider [pf,Open]Sense? With a 1U Xeon server, you can easily achieve 10gbps (i.e.: Xeon v2 and up). Leveraging AES for VPN should yield amazing results. Having an IPMI port would be advantageous for out-of-band access.

If you need ports, 4 x GigE RJ45 PCIe NICs are easily available. Would strongly advise leveraging Intel-based NICs only.

Reactions: Bradford

Bradford

May 27, 2016
Yes chicken I am also considering that, but having a hard time sourcing something decent here in the UK. I am really looking at the Mikrotik RB5009 if I can get my hands on one, a pfsense box otherwise.

Although the IPMI aspect of it might be moot for me, as this will be colocated and inaccessible unless I expose it to the Internet.

Serverking

The quieter you are, the more you can hear...
Jan 6, 2019
@Bradford I will add to what chicken said, VyOS can easily do 10 or even 20gbps or RouterOS which is made by Mikrotik. Intel i5 can get the job done.

Bradford

May 27, 2016
@Bradford I will add to what chicken said, VyOS can easily do 10 or even 20gbps or RouterOS which is made by Mikrotik. Intel i5 can get the job done.
I didn't realize you could run VyOS and RouterOS on AMD64 architecture - is this true? If so, very cool and interesting.

I put in a pre-order for the RB5009, but it's not going to ship until late next month. If i can get something decent for a AMD64 based solution, I'll do that as well. But silicon is at a premium right now, so we'll see.

Thanks for your help so far

Serverking

The quieter you are, the more you can hear...
Jan 6, 2019
is this true?
Yes it is. You can get a 1u xeon E3 v3 for around ~$250 USD. I got some links for you if you don't mind me PMing you