Colo Space!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
3a power is what in terms of watts in PSU terms?
3 Amps. When you rent a cage at a data center you are allocated a space and then a single circuit, usually 120 Volts, 20 Amps (so ~2400w max for that circuit). Of course, people do specify extra circuits with capabilities, like a 30A 208 Volts 3-phase to run high-draw devices like blade enclosures.

The cage tenant is responsible for supplying its own PDU (power distribution unit) and will be expected to keep it below the limit, and if you get a "smart" PDU, each outlet is monitored and controlled separately.

If you are given a 3 Amp allocation in the cage you are expected to keep it below, oh, ~360 watts.

Last edited:
Reactions: gigatexal

zdude

What is a Computer?
Aug 29, 2017
As somebody who is looking for colo space in the mid-west. I wonder if it would be worth setting up a thread/forum for various colo location offers/requests.

Reactions: TLN

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
As somebody who is looking for colo space in the mid-west. I wonder if it would be worth setting up a thread/forum for various colo location offers/requests.
Midwest here, I might be interested as well.

e97

Jun 3, 2015
Careful with colo "deals". When I was first starting out, I found a lot of "deals" on a certain forum and a lot of them were fly by night ops. Couple of folks with no experience looking to cash in on the tech craze.

If you spend a bit more you get solid certified/audited collocation, the same that the "big boys" use and you'll save yourself SOO much headache.

If you do want to risk it: VERIFY everything! All certifications, claims, etc.. Be prepared to visit the facility and interview the folks working there to make sure everything is kosher.

There a few things as worse than losing data due to incompetence and then having the colo company try to cover it up until you ask for security footage, then making it a problem to recover your equipment. NEVER AGAIN! That was the first and last time I will ever deal with that shit.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Also worth noting that Joshua Prout is out of jail and starting to scam folks again.
Thanks for the heads up! I was lucky didn't get tangled up in that mess last couple of times around. Just boggles my mind how such people can even sleep in peace at night.

Just in time for holidays....

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
Also worth noting that Joshua Prout is out of jail and starting to scam folks again.
Duck. We need to be extra vigilant. How do you know that he went to jail and got out?

On sending Colo gear out you gotta watch this.

rnavarro

Feb 14, 2013
Bumping this because a tenant is moving out and I have some space available again!

Same details apply, pretty flexible arrangement!

Let me know if you have any questions!

rnavarro

Feb 14, 2013
Bumping this because a tenant is moving out and I have some space available again!

Same details apply, pretty flexible arrangement!

@WeekendWarrior can vouch - no drama, easy hosting

Let me know if you have any questions!

rnavarro

Feb 14, 2013
Is the ISP TOR Friendly?

Btw first time seeing this. Awesome!
I do pass along all upstream abuse messages to folks for them to take care of things, I personally don't care what folks do (as long as it's not abusive to other people in the rack).

I think HE's official stance is that they are not TOR friendly.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
I didn't ask the right question... Shame on me for propagating the negative outlook on TOR with that question.

Should have asked, "Is the ISP TOR Exit Node friendly?"

I've gotten very negative replies when asked the wrong way.

"TOR Exit Node Friendly" means they they support running exit nodes. They support Internet Freedom and are willing to stand behind that when an NSL or Authority comes knocking. Though, this usually requires access to the PTR records of your IP address class so you can setup a proper reverse lookup DNS for authorities, such as:

tor-exit-node.my-domain.org

With Russian/NSA running the vast majority of Exit nodes, we need more US-based support (and authority training) on exit nodes.

rnavarro

Feb 14, 2013
I didn't ask the right question... Shame on me for propagating the negative outlook on TOR with that question.

Should have asked, "Is the ISP TOR Exit Node friendly?"

I've gotten very negative replies when asked the wrong way.

"TOR Exit Node Friendly" means they they support running exit nodes. Though, this usually requires access to the PTR records of your IP address so you can setup a proper reverse lookup DNS for authorities, such as:

tor-exit-node.my-domain.org

With Russian/NSA running the vast majority of Exit nodes, we need more US-based support (and authority training) on exit nodes.
Hey There,

I figured you were talking about TOR exit nodes, unfortunately with unscrupulous people they tend to lend themselves to lots of abuse claims which is why I jumped straight there.

I know there is merrit to the TOR network and what it's goals are, which is why I said I personally don't mind. But I don't make the rules, I'm just the messenger :p

As for PTR records and reverse DNS, yes we have the ability to set those records accordingly - I believe it's just a support ticket to do so.

Reactions: eduncan911

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
@rnavarro I'm interested. Is the slot still open? Also, does HE have any remote hands services for basic tasks like swapping drives? I ask because I'm in socal and I'd only want to take the 6hr drive up for initial setup and major hardware changes.

rnavarro

Feb 14, 2013
@rnavarro I'm interested. Is the slot still open? Also, does HE have any remote hands services for basic tasks like swapping drives? I ask because I'm in socal and I'd only want to take the 6hr drive up for initial setup and major hardware changes.
There are remote hands available for things like power cycling and swapping drives.