Coffee Lake Server(Xeon E-2176G)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Silentspy

May 8, 2018
Hi! i am currently waiting for the unreleased series of Xeon Entry and wanting to build a gameserver friendly box with high singlethread perf.

is there any recommendations on motherboards? i was thinking maybe ASUS WS series. but there is also supermicro which just got a great rep overall. the new Asus WS IPMI SW looks very nice (STH review). is the supermicro series that updated by now? i just want to avoid Java at all cost when it comes to Webui

Yes i know nothing is released yet. but planning ahead mainly! :)

TomUK

Aug 30, 2017
These are going to be Socket 1151 - so that motherboard you've linked to will not run these new chips.

These may well require new motherboards and not be able to be supported on current v5/v6 capable 1151 boards (just like the CFL core series CPUs)

You'll have to wait and see I think!

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I am also waiting for the new Socket 1151 v2 SuperMicro X11 SCZ-F with a Intel CM246 chipset

aberg83

Jul 14, 2017
Anyone know when these processors will be readily available to purchase for consumers?

Ivan Dimitrov

Jul 10, 2016
The E3 CPU and MB are available in Poland at least.
About your server request - the MB you have linked is for socket 3647. High single thread performance is quite expensive for this platform - I wouldn't recommend.
If you want the best possible single thread performance you should go with consumer HW i7 8700.
If you are hung on the hardware server hardware X11SCZ-F seems like a good option.

Silentspy

May 8, 2018
So after a few months motherboards have been announced and new CPUs are on the market.
I moved back from using a EATX case to a MATX one

this was a obvious choice then. IPMI features and all.
X11SCZ-F | Motherboards | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc.

this is not a new announced one. but very good for its price. and i saw the review STH did on 8300 one. was a very easy decision. I also decided i wanted to try the i3 Series as they have improved quite a ton the latest generations. and it got ECC support which is great.
Intel® Core™ i3-8350K Processor (8M Cache, 4.00 GHz) Product Specifications is the one i went with.

Case:
Carbide Series™ Air 240 High Airflow MicroATX and Mini-ITX PC Case

This CPU cooler (its kinda tall but some said 130mm of available space)
NH-U9S

PSU (550 should be plenty for 3 ironwolf in raid 5 and a few SSD's)
TX-M Series™ TX550M — 550 Watt 80 Plus® Gold Certified PSU

Last edited: