Cockpit ZFS Manager

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cookiesowns

Feb 12, 2016
Any chance for a beta test? I have disposal systems with a variety of disk configs. I'm also a react dev too so can help with dev work if needed.

TheDarkCorner

Jan 22, 2021
Okay this is pretty damn sad. The company that forked it (bought it?) has only done some minimal work on the current release, and it seems all the goodies of the not released 1.0 version will never see the light of day.
It was sooo promising!

Thanks anyway for the amazing work, it was good while it lasted.. Back to shell or maybe TrueNAS.

SecCon

Arkham Asylum Server Mgmt
May 26, 2022
I apologise for necromancing here, but I have no history with zfs-manager other that stumbling over it looking at Cockpit available third party applications. It is listed at their site. Applications — Cockpit Project

Fedora uses Cockpit as default server manager in 38, so that's why I got in to this.

What is the take on the current release? GitHub - 45Drives/cockpit-zfs-manager: Cockpit ZFS Manager is an interactive ZFS on Linux admin package for Cockpit. Even @optimans seems to have contributed. Seems to me 45Drives and Cockpit people has a few things going on, more or less connected. Same people? Is it any good?

Morgan Simmons

Feb 18, 2015
I apologise for necromancing here, but I have no history with zfs-manager other that stumbling over it looking at Cockpit available third party applications. It is listed at their site.

Fedora uses Cockpit as default server manager in 38, so that's why I got in to this.

What is the take on the current release? GitHub - 45Drives/cockpit-zfs-manager: Cockpit ZFS Manager is an interactive ZFS on Linux admin package for Cockpit. Even @optimans seems to have contributed. Seems to me 45Drives and Cockpit people has a few things going on, more or less connected. Same people? Is it any good?
It's been great! I'm sad that we don't get the interaction with the dev here like we used to, but the software is good

SecCon

May 26, 2022
Care to share if you used ZFS or something else? I am getting that error about version 0.8 in ZFS, even after installing the 45Drives ZFS support

Code:
Install ZFS manager
sudo git clone https://github.com/45drives/cockpit-zfs-manager.git
sudo cp -r cockpit-zfs-manager/zfs /usr/share/cockpit
This package requires ZFS version 0.8 or later
If ZFS is installed, check the module is loaded into the kernel.

SecCon

May 26, 2022
I am actually not very keen on using this.

Reasons:
- One proprietary developer , 45drives.
- No other relevant forks
- Too much dependency, as far as I can tell, with Cockpit project.
- I have seen a lot better management of shares and storage in TrueNAS Scale

I also made an issue on Github about removing the application, but solve it myself with other help.

Will this mean I leave Fedora, Cockpit and 45Drives apps? Not Fedora, I will look for alternatives for the others.