Cloud backup solution?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
I'm just biting the bullet and switching to CrashPlan for Small Business (I had 10TB uploaded on the Home version so I have to re-upload). I looked long and hard at Backblaze+Cloudberry Backup, but Cloudberry gimps the "storage managed" to 1TB and charges (a lot) extra for "managing" storage above 1TB, and reviews for Cloudberry don't seem the greatest either.

Meanwhile CrashPlan just "works" using a single client/provider, and the built in de-dupe seems to work fairly well for my backup set (large Veeam backups).

scobar

Nov 24, 2013
Just signed up for a CP business trial. It is ungodly slow, have been through their KB. Hardly touches CPU or upload and it's been cranked up. It has been 3 days and is at like 7%. Was really hoping for something quick enough I could get a good copy of my VM backups offsite but seems that won't happen...

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Just signed up for a CP business trial. It is ungodly slow, have been through their KB. Hardly touches CPU or upload and it's been cranked up. It has been 3 days and is at like 7%. Was really hoping for something quick enough I could get a good copy of my VM backups offsite but seems that won't happen...
yeah, definitely not great for frequent large backups. i backup my VMs to an external USB drive right now and take ZFS snapshots.

scobar

Nov 24, 2013
Signed up for a carbonite trial, that one takes a backup, locally then uploads it(higher disk cost). So think traditional local backup sets and then a cloud back end, but it appears that it does not choke itself like CrashPlan. Letting them both run at the same time.

squidman

Jul 8, 2017
Well,
I just got an email stating that my CrashPlan family plan is ending because they are pulling out of the home market. From what I can find, the only provider with unlimited space for Linux backups will now be CrashPlan Small Business. Of course it will be $10 per computer and not $13.99 for up to 10. Does anyone have some recommendations on how to backup my remote client computers now that CrashPlan is no longer an option for me? I'm willing to use any free option that I can easily port to a Windows destination in the future (done I'm planning on moving to Backblaze when my SiaCoin experiment is over and it only runs on Windows). For my one remote Linux client I could use rsync, but if like to have the backup data compressed as well. Any ideas?

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk
Was looking for an alternative to Jottacloud, as incredibly buggy (and have 32! TB with them), so going though the same thing. From Norway, tho, on 150/20, Backblaze (early am US time) got read of 160 write of 20, so encouraging..may use them, but always the risk that they will go under too! Or stop offering unlimited cloud storage.

squidman

Jul 8, 2017
Wondering as have DIY DAS here, should I backup 1 local and 2x to the cloud? Or just build an unraid/or freenas box and have 2 local and 1 in the cloud? No question, cheaper to have 2 in the cloud, but sitting on 20 Mbps up here...150 down.

Using Windows Storage spaces, which is great for upgrading/expanding (unlike zraid!), and reliablility vs unraid..wow don't know! So a bit up the old creek!