Cloud backup solution?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Considering that the controller usually doesn't do much once you're setup(I've taken them offline post setup to no ill effect during testing) I don't think that would be an issue.
Which cpu is in your n40l it seems like there were quite a few choices.
AMD Turion II Neo N40L Dual-Core

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

talsit

Aug 8, 2013
I took care of this tonight. I had been using an Ubuntu server with a ZFS pool as a target for my backups. The data on that pool had been restored from a CrashPlan backup of a Storage Spaces fail which had been moved from unraid.

Everything is backed up here, reinstall images, media, etc for a combination of Linux, Windows and Apple machines. I was just backing that server up to CrashPlan. All I had to do for this was change my plan from home to business. It migrated my data and I have a year of paying $2.50/month for my storage.

It is updating files now as my Windows machines do their scheduled backup.

Reactions: Kybber

Kybber

May 27, 2016
I took care of this tonight. I had been using an Ubuntu server with a ZFS pool as a target for my backups. The data on that pool had been restored from a CrashPlan backup of a Storage Spaces fail which had been moved from unraid.

Everything is backed up here, reinstall images, media, etc for a combination of Linux, Windows and Apple machines. I was just backing that server up to CrashPlan. All I had to do for this was change my plan from home to business. It migrated my data and I have a year of paying $2.50/month for my storage.

It is updating files now as my Windows machines do their scheduled backup.
I have a similar solution where everything I need to back up is moved to a server, and then backed up to CrashPlan. Will probably also switch to CrashPlan business and be on the lookout for other Linux-based cloud backup solutions while the 75% discount lasts.

However, I may as well get started: Would Backblaze B2 be a good option for backups? I only have ~600GB that I need to backup, and at $0.005/GB that comes out to only ~$3 per month. In case I need to restore from backup, at $0.02/GB it would only cost ~$12.

Unless I am mistaken, all that is needed is some backup software/script to interact with B2. Preferably with some support for snapshotting or versioning like what CrashPlan has. Any suggestions? From B2 Cloud Storage - Integrations I have found Cloudberry (paid), Duplicacy (paid), HashBackup (free for now), qBackup (paid), rclone (free) which all seem to offer snapshots/versioning.

Anyone has experience creating their own Nextcloud or Owncloud server?
Yeah, I just set up nextcloud two days ago in an LXC container on my Proxmox host and put it behind an nginx reverse-proxy on a VM yesterday. Still need to do a bit of tinkering (e.g. move data-directory to bind-mounted storage on ZFS), but so far my impression is very good. Easy to install, very flexible.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
I have a similar solution where everything I need to back up is moved to a server, and then backed up to CrashPlan. Will probably also switch to CrashPlan business and be on the lookout for other Linux-based cloud backup solutions while the 75% discount lasts.

However, I may as well get started: Would Backblaze B2 be a good option for backups? I only have ~600GB that I need to backup, and at $0.005/GB that comes out to only ~$3 per month. In case I need to restore from backup, at $0.02/GB it would only cost ~$12.

Unless I am mistaken, all that is needed is some backup software/script to interact with B2. Preferably with some support for snapshotting or versioning like what CrashPlan has. Any suggestions? From B2 Cloud Storage - Integrations I have found Cloudberry (paid), Duplicacy (paid), HashBackup (free for now), qBackup (paid), rclone (free) which all seem to offer snapshots/versioning.

Yeah, I just set up nextcloud two days ago in an LXC container on my Proxmox host and put it behind an nginx reverse-proxy on a VM yesterday. Still need to do a bit of tinkering (e.g. move data-directory to bind-mounted storage on ZFS), but so far my impression is very good. Easy to install, very flexible.
I am going to use this method. I'll just use Resilio Sync to "backup" remote machines to my home server.

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA

I moved over to B2. My backups are static and only get added to (currently under 600GB of photos, documents, etc). Simple rclone script and it's backed up. I don't need or care for whole computer backup. i tried the cloudberry software and while it was good, it is not worth the price to me.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
I moved over to B2. My backups are static and only get added to (currently under 600GB of photos, documents, etc). Simple rclone script and it's backed up. I don't need or care for whole computer backup. i tried the cloudberry software and while it was good, it is not worth the price to me.
I'm using CrashPlan Small Business until my SiaCoin hosting contracts are up, them in switching to Windows 8.1 with deduplication enabled and BackBlaze. Using Resilio Sync for client machines.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
pardon my ignorance, but is Resilio Sync some kind of a bittorent sync service, or a backup service?

Kybber

May 27, 2016
Thanks. What happens if some of your files are inadvertently modified, for instance by ransomware? Will not the next backup overwrite the files at B2, leaving you no chance to get the originals back? That's one of the primary reasons why I require snapshots/versioning for my backup plan.

I have decided to stay with CrashPlan for now, and will leave the decision for my next backup solution for later. My CrashPlan subscription is good until June 2018, and then I will pay $2.50/month for the next 12 months, so I am all set until summer 2019. I migrated to Crashplan for small business this weekend, and it was entirely hassle-free.

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
Thanks. What happens if some of your files are inadvertently modified, for instance by ransomware? Will not the next backup overwrite the files at B2, leaving you no chance to get the originals back? That's one of the primary reasons why I require snapshots/versioning for my backup plan.

I have decided to stay with CrashPlan for now, and will leave the decision for my next backup solution for later. My CrashPlan subscription is good until June 2018, and then I will pay $2.50/month for the next 12 months, so I am all set until summer 2019. I migrated to Crashplan for small business this weekend, and it was entirely hassle-free.
I have multiple backups and the most important stuff (photos) are on more than one cloud provider too. They are also not stored on a windows machine and I don't map the drive to the windows PC's so it is a bit harder to be hit.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Has anyone migrated to Crashplan Small Business with more than 5TB? How does that work?
you know, i had about 5.6TB of data selected with Crashplan for home. fortunately, or unfortunately, the upload speed was so slow that i only had about 4TB uploaded. i then switched to their CrashPlan for small biz plan and all of the 4TB migrated over and is continuing to upload.

as i understand it, if you can't migrate over because you already have > 5TB uploaded, it just starts over (you lose history) and their upload speeds are still just as slow.

it is still an unlimited space plan once you migrate over or start over.

with the discount, over the next 2 yrs after my current subscription expires, it averages out to the same price as the old home plan since you get 75% discount 1 yr, and then $10/mo the 2nd yr.

friends of mine that use the peer-to-peer backup feature are really upset though...