Cloud backup solution?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Well,
I just got an email stating that my CrashPlan family plan is ending because they are pulling out of the home market. From what I can find, the only provider with unlimited space for Linux backups will now be CrashPlan Small Business. Of course it will be $10 per computer and not $13.99 for up to 10. Does anyone have some recommendations on how to backup my remote client computers now that CrashPlan is no longer an option for me? I'm willing to use any free option that I can easily port to a Windows destination in the future (done I'm planning on moving to Backblaze when my SiaCoin experiment is over and it only runs on Windows). For my one remote Linux client I could use rsync, but if like to have the backup data compressed as well. Any ideas?

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
That sucks. That was about the only good cross platform option that was easy to use. I just got the email as well.

Server side I can just use ZFS send/recv. Particularly with the newer version that does resume. But Windows/OSX clients need a simple way to deal with it. I could push them to the server and let the server make the extra copies. One of the folder sync type apps could work there. I just liked the ease of use with Crashplan.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
That sucks. That was about the only good cross platform option that was easy to use. I just got the email as well.

Server side I can just use ZFS send/recv. Particularly with the newer version that does resume. But Windows/OSX clients need a simple way to deal with it. I could push them to the server and let the server make the extra copies. One of the folder sync type apps could work there. I just liked the ease of use with Crashplan.
I'm considering loading Windows 10 on my home server and setting up deduplication on it, but I still need a good way to get data from remote machines to it since I am thinking rsync but that isn't an easy option in Windows

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
You can do an rsync pull if you use BASH in windows. Linux Subsystem for Windows. It actually work very well.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
You can do an rsync pull if you use BASH in windows. Linux Subsystem for Windows. It actually work very well.
Inbound rsync though? I'm thinking of adding the deduplication role to a Windows 10 box and then using Resilio Sync for my remote machines. I know that Windows 10 doesn't officially super deduplication but it does work. I will have to start with a Server 2016 install so I can make my data drive ReFS (sense it supports checksums)

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
You can always run a linux vm with windows presenting it with an iSCSI target. doing it that way windows just has one big file to manage(a vhd)

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
You can always run a linux vm with windows presenting it with an iSCSI target. doing it that way windows just has one big file to manage(a vhd)
BackBlaze requires a client version of Windows though. Don't think clients can be iSCSI Target servers

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Inbound rsync though? I'm thinking of adding the deduplication role to a Windows 10 box and then using Resilio Sync for my remote machines. I know that Windows 10 doesn't officially super deduplication but it does work. I will have to start with a Server 2016 install so I can make my data drive ReFS (sense it supports checksums)

Win 10 Pro will let you format a drive as ReFS. You can't set up an SSH server so it would have to be a Windows pulling from Linux via rsync.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
BackBlaze requires a client version of Windows though. Don't think clients can be iSCSI Target servers

client just means "not server"... but you're right 10pro can use targets not generate them unless you're using starwind to do it(which is free but now you're complicating it further)

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Win 10 Pro will let you format a drive as ReFS. You can't set up an SSH server so it would have to be a Windows pulling from Linux via rsync.
Only until the Fall Creators update, then it loses that ability.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
client just means "not server"... but you're right 10pro can use targets not generate them unless you're using starwind to do it(which is free but now you're complicating it further)
I'll probably use Resilio Sync because it's easier for me to setup

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
A N40L running Windows 10, Plex, BackBlaze & Resilio Sync is going to be slow enough as it is. I may have to break out one of my Core 2 Duo boxes for Plex.

Considering that the controller usually doesn't do much once you're setup(I've taken them offline post setup to no ill effect during testing) I don't think that would be an issue.
Which cpu is in your n40l it seems like there were quite a few choices.