Cleaning transceiver slots

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mighty Man

Aug 9, 2019
Purchased an Edgerouter X-SFP locally through offerup and the seller threw in a pair of X520-DA NICS and DAC cable when he found out I didn’t have any Non RJ45 gear. The NICs were pretty filthy (think tar deposits from cigarette smokers and then dropped into rosin paste for spite), and I cleaned the PCBs with CRC Electronics Cleaner and Isopropyl Alcohol 99%. Everything externally looks nice and shiny again (along with new thermal paste under the heatsinks for good measure).

But...

How do I clean the transceiver slots? (and by extension, I would think this question also applies to transceiver ports on other faster switches: sfp, sfp+, QSFP, etc).

Fallen Kell

Mar 10, 2020
There is not a lot that can be done with them to my knowledge. It is why they come from the factory with plugs in them to prevent dust and other grime from accumulating inside the ports when there is no cable connected to them.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Insertion forces should see the electrical contacts make nice clean connection, dust etc would get pushed aside as it makes contact.
Haven’t had an issue ever , any some switches ended up very dirty on production lines and similar places.