Cleaning thermal paste from socket

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gtech1

May 27, 2019
Bought a brand new x10drd-i motherboard. Managed to get some non-conducting thermal paste in the socket.

How screwed am I ? I tried cleaning with alcohol, q-tip and a microfiber tissue. No luck, it's deep on the socket below the pins and I'm afraid to bend them.

Tips ?

herby

Aug 18, 2013
If it's really non conducting your fine as long as the pins still make good contact to the pads on your CPU. I wouldn't try too hard to clean it either out of fear of bending the pins. Warranty wise, if you have a problem with the MOBO, it might be a hassle; but even then I bet you could push the non-conductive factor hard enough.

Reactions: richard.dzavoronok

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
install CPU, remove and clean(Alc- Q-tips) the golden contacts(CPU) in that area. repeat that until you don't see any paste on the contacts.

Reactions: richard.dzavoronok

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
In this situation.

I might be tempted to try drying a small sample with a hair dryer - and then seeing if it can be blown away with a gentle application of some compressed air.

Try it on a sample, remote from the motherboard socket first.

Good luck.

RedX1

ectoplasmosis

Jul 28, 2021
I cleaned a much worse example than this by repeatedly soaking the area with pure isopropyl and blowing with an air compressor ‘with the grain’ of the pins, and absorbing the resulting santorum with a fine-weave micro fibre cloth.

Repeat until the area is clean.

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
Isopropyl alcohol dissolves most thermal pastes. So I'd just lay a lint free cloth behind the socket. Soak the area with isopropyl and use a canned air bottle to blow it away in to the cloth. And repeat until its gone.