Clarification on Expander use with JBOD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NOTORIOUS VR

Nov 24, 2015
I'm building my own JBOD case using a cut down rack case, and 3x Supermicro M35T racks installed which are all SATA connections (5 per M35T - so 15 total requred)

I thought you could have breakout cables from 8088 to 8077 with more than 4 SATA connections but that doesn't seem to be the case. I think I need to run an expander in this case like say this 487738-001 HP Expander or similar?

This should allow me to connect more SFF-8087 cables from just one SFF-8088 input correct? And the expander has a PCI connection, as I do not have a motherboard in the JBOD case, how would I deal with that, would it be powered passively by the SFF connections or do I need to look for another card?

Thanks!

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Am assuming you meant 8087 instead of 8077

8088 and 8087. Both carry 4 channels so only 4 SAS or SATA connections.

You will need an expander if you want 1-2 SFF-8088's coming into the case.

You can use a PCIE mining adapter to power the the HP or you could look at the intel expander (more $$) molex power, or possibly the DELL expander referenced in a previous thread with a non standard pinout ATX 4 pin to Molex .

itr

NOTORIOUS VR

Nov 24, 2015
Hi all,

yes sorry 8087 is what I meant.

I do want use one 8088 going to the case (just like my Lenovo SA120) and then break out more SAS/SATA connections on the inside of the case. In my case I need min 15 SATA connections.

I didn't think of the mining adapters for power. It would be a cleaner install to have the HP expander where the 8088 is external than having the Dell card sitting in the case and feeding the 8088 in to it.

Either way that clears this all up for me, I'll need an expander, a riser adapter and some more 8087 breakouts for this.

Thanks!

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
The HP will only run sata drives at 3gb/s. Just be aware. I ran one for a while before swapping for an Intel expander.
I'd really recommend using the dell one referenced else where, mount it through a blank i/o plate, or use the intel that takes molex. The HP can be flaky.
I

NOTORIOUS VR

Nov 24, 2015
Thanks... I certainly do not want any headaches, and looking into the HP expander some more it's clear there are issues with it (besides being only 3 Gbs).

I'll try the Dell expander, for the price it seems well worth the risk for the money.