Clarification about Norco C-8087-8088F & connection to host

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

itsme

Jun 8, 2019
Hi everyone,
I will attempt to build a DIY DAS enclosure and among the components I am looking at is the
Norco C-8087-8088F.

I have a few questions:
1. This does not seem to require any external power. Is it practically 2 male>female adapters glued to each other?
2. In the host side (my PC) I will use an 8x PCIe HBA like SAS 9207-8e or SAS 9202-16e (which is cheaper for some reason). But I noticed that they have different connections (in this case, SFF8088 and SFF8644). Is there a particular reason I would search for an HBA with specific external connectors (maybe price of the respective cables)?
3.If anyone has a similar experience, if I have 8 SATA3 HHDs in my DAS, will there be much speed/bandwidth difference to having them connected to the MoBo SATA ports?

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
1) yes its basically a signal passthrough with an adapter change, this one is cheaper by 15 bucks and free ship: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PRXOQFA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_qY--CbFD5RJ88

2)8088 is the older style external sas(3 or 6Gbps) connector, 8644 is the newer sas3(12Gbps) connector, if you are using mechanical drives the older style is sufficient especially for only 8 drives. Some newer cards with fewer connectors have a faster processor, PCI 3.0, and can handle more drive-through put, but overall not really need it unless you are doing a ssd array. I’m on mobile so I don't have the ability to compare the two cards.

3) As long as the sata ports are native ahci you should see no difference in speed compared to a hba card.

itsme

Jun 8, 2019
Thank Spartacus, it seems that you answer all my questions
1) yes its basically a signal passthrough with an adapter change, this one is cheaper by 15 bucks and free ship: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PRXOQFA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_qY--CbFD5RJ88

2)8088 is the older style external sas(3 or 6Gbps) connector, 8644 is the newer sas3(12Gbps) connector, if you are using mechanical drives the older style is sufficient especially for only 8 drives. Some newer cards with fewer connectors have a faster processor, PCI 3.0, and can handle more drive-through put, but overall not really need it unless you are doing a ssd array. I’m on mobile so I don't have the ability to compare the two cards.

3) As long as the sata ports are native ahci you should see no difference in speed compared to a hba card.
1. As I mentioned in another thread, I am in europe, so the respective price is more than double (30 Euros~ $34), still a good alternative. I also found this, which is slightly cheaper

2. Still, theoretically, I should prefer 8644 if prices are equal. I will check cable prices again, a cursory search seemed to show that 8644 were more expensive. Or maybe the additional cost was from converting 8064 to 8088

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Most of the cables of both types are relatively cheap and generally about the same cost (a couple of dollars more for the 8644 as it is less mass produced). I just bought two breakout cables one of each style the 8087 was 14$ the 8643 was 16$. The controllers and expanders of the 8643 are where the costs are alot higher than what you can get of the 8087/8088 comparable. They’re higher performance capable too, just not needed unless you’re going ssd.

itsme

Jun 8, 2019
Most of the cables of both types are relatively cheap and generally about the same cost (a couple of dollars more for the 8644 as it is less mass produced). I just bought two breakout cables one of each style the 8087 was 14$ the 8643 was 16$. The controllers and expanders of the 8643 are where the costs are alot higher than what you can get of the 8087/8088 comparable. They’re higher performance capable too, just not needed unless you’re going ssd.
1. you mentioned 8643. Am i correct in my understanding that 8643 is to 8644 as 8087 is to 8088?
2. I was referring to the fact that cables that go from 8088 to 8644 are more expensive
3. I find some 8644 controllers equally cheap at ebay, but sometimes their specs are confusing. For example SAS 9202-16e is 8644 but PCIe2 (albeit 16x). would you happen to know if there is a tool (or a comparative list) with controllers and their specs (i.e. PCIe lanes & version, connectors etc)? There are so many and it is very time consuming searching each one's specs...

Last edited:

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
1) correct 8643 is high density sas3 internal, 8644 is high density sas3 external (the smaller black square plugs)
8087 is the standard density sas1/2 internal, 8088 is standard density sas1/2 external (the larger rectangular plugs)

2) Ah, they are a little bit pricier but the 8088 format is more common and mass produced ergo cheaper and external cables in general are a little higher due to the tougher casing and longer lengths. (a 1m variant for each was only like 15$ vs 23$ on amazon US)

3) Yes: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...and-hba-complete-listing-plus-oem-models.599/
This at least gives you a general idea of whats under the hood for the given variants (as well as if they're flashable to it mode though many external HBA cards are in IT mode already)

itsme

Jun 8, 2019
1) correct 8643 is high density sas3 internal, 8644 is high density sas3 external (the smaller black square plugs)
8087 is the standard density sas1/2 internal, 8088 is standard density sas1/2 external (the larger rectangular plugs)

2) Ah, they are a little bit pricier but the 8088 format is more common and mass produced ergo cheaper and external cables in general are a little higher due to the tougher casing and longer lengths. (a 1m variant for each was only like 15$ vs 23$ on amazon US)

3) Yes: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...and-hba-complete-listing-plus-oem-models.599/
This at least gives you a general idea of whats under the hood for the given variants (as well as if they're flashable to it mode though many external HBA cards are in IT mode already)
Thanks a lot, especially for (3). There is a similar page in the UnRaid forums but the info is often wrong