Citrix XenServer VS Proxmox

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I've been very happy with my Proxmox based setup. I run the ZFS array on it directly, passing pieces of it to the guest containers via bind mounts. Performance has been great, and it's pretty easy to run. I was going to try ESXi, but decided to try the open source option first. I'm happy I did and plan to stay where I am.

kroem

Aug 16, 2014
I've been very happy with my Proxmox based setup. I run the ZFS array on it directly, passing pieces of it to the guest containers via bind mounts. Performance has been great, and it's pretty easy to run. I was going to try ESXi, but decided to try the open source option first. I'm happy I did and plan to stay where I am.
Glad to hear it. That would be my plan too. I'm running Napp-it virtualized today.

I've never served nfs/files from a debian based box before, is it complicated? Or can I even run both Proxmox and OMV at the same time?

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
NFS isn't hard to deal with at all. You install the server and add a few lines to /etc/exports then run "exportfs -a". There are also web UIs for Linux if you want them. Webmin is pretty common. Napp-it has a Linux version, but it doesn't do as much as the Solaris version.

One gotcha that I think applies to Solaris as well so you might be aware of it already. The clients have to be resolvable with DNS or in /etc/hosts. Most DHCP servers do that for you, so it's usually just static IP clients that need to be added.

kroem

Aug 16, 2014
NFS isn't hard to deal with at all. You install the server and add a few lines to /etc/exports then run "exportfs -a". There are also web UIs for Linux if you want them. Webmin is pretty common. Napp-it has a Linux version, but it doesn't do as much as the Solaris version.

One gotcha that I think applies to Solaris as well so you might be aware of it already. The clients have to be resolvable with DNS or in /etc/hosts. Most DHCP servers do that for you, so it's usually just static IP clients that need to be added.
Ok, thanks. Yes, been starting to play with Proxmox and ran into the hosts issue already :)

hatchna

Feb 17, 2016
I just got my new server up and going, and tried out both Xenserver and Proxmox, and while I'm not an expert on either yet, Proxmox was far easier to configure for me. I was able to easily set up a ZFS mirror for the system volumes, and a RAIDz2 for the datastore essentially. I could've done this or something similar with Xenserver but it was was more complicated. Setting up another local storage after installation was more complicated as well. Xenserver is good and I can understand why it's a popular option, but for me with my single node setup, Proxmox was the easier option to get going. I've really enjoyed working with it so far.