Cisco UCSC RAID SAS 2008M-8i not getting any it firmware...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nihonjin

Lost in translation
Mar 31, 2021
Cisco 74-10149-01

This card is giving me headache. No problem cleaning sbr and flash with megarec, but it doesn't want to get programed with any firmware I've tried so far. Always gives "failed to validate mfg page 2" or another error I don't remember now...

Done:
megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin
megarec -cleanflash 0

reboot efi

Fail:
sas2flash.efi -o -f firmware.bin -b mptsas2.rom
sas2flash.efi -o -sasadd 500605bxxxxxxxxx

Any help will be wellcome.

Solution:

you need sas2flash v5 and flash 6gbpsas.fw before flashing the 9211it.bin firmware

Last edited:

nihonjin

Lost in translation
Mar 31, 2021
@Sleyk thanks for your answer but already tried with different versions of flashers and the only result I could get is with "sas2flash.efi -o -e 6 or 7" and then when it asks, write the name of the BIOS to flash but later it always sees the BIOS as corrupted. After that, there is no way to flash mpt nor x64sas2.

I thought that maybe the flash IC is bad, but before started the adventure of flashing it, it worked just fine.

Btw, it has a jumper that I also tried to play with, but with no results

Would be thankful if you could share with me the files you think would work with this card...

Last edited:

VX-CAD

Nov 30, 2022
@nihonjin I did it by following recovery steps from GitHub - marcan/lsirec: LSI SAS2008/SAS2108 low-level recovery tool for Linux.
I don't know if it works yet (need someone to connect it to drives), but at least it shows correctly.
One thing that I did wrong - I lost original SBR and used this one sbr_sas9211-8i_itir.cfg.
As for my setup:
- I did everything on an old Supermicro server
- I disabled VT-d in BIOS as this was preventing driver to load
- As Linux distro I used version 6 of SystemRescue CD

I hope this will help. Also, I'd be really appreciated for a copy of the original Cisco SBR if you have it.

nihonjin

Lost in translation
Mar 31, 2021
@nihonjin I did it by following recovery steps from GitHub - marcan/lsirec: LSI SAS2008/SAS2108 low-level recovery tool for Linux.
I don't know if it works yet (need someone to connect it to drives), but at least it shows correctly.
One thing that I did wrong - I lost original SBR and used this one sbr_sas9211-8i_itir.cfg.
As for my setup:
- I did everything on an old Supermicro server
- I disabled VT-d in BIOS as this was preventing driver to load
- As Linux distro I used version 6 of SystemRescue CD

I hope this will help. Also, I'd be really appreciated for a copy of the original Cisco SBR if you have it.
sorry for not answering here, but solved this time ago with the help of @Sleyk

you need sas2flash v5 and flash 6gbpsas.fw before flashing the 9211it.bin firmware

Reactions: Sleyk

VX-CAD

Nov 30, 2022
Glad that you make it. Also, do you have a backup of Cisco SBR by a chance? I lost mine while was experimenting. Anything before/after crossflashing works for me. Thanks!

Reactions: Sleyk