Cisco switch BOM's

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jacabart

Dec 4, 2017
I was wondering if anyone is aware of a tool for finding out what is included in Cisco switches? For example, I have to find the below materials for a project I'm working on, some of which I believe may be included already in the switches on the list, but I have no way of being able to tell. I need something like the CCW tool but I'm not a Cisco partner so I can't access that :(

Part Number

Description

Qty

WS-C3850-24XU-L

Cisco Catalyst 3850 24 mGig Port UPoE LAN Base

PWR-C1-1100WAC

1100W AC Config 1 Power Supply

PWR-C1-715WAC/2

715W AC Config 1 Secondary Power Supply

C3850-NM-8-10G

Cisco Catalyst 3850 8 x 10GE Network Module

CAB-TA-NA

North America AC Type A Power Cable

STACK-T1-50CM

50CM Type 1 Stacking Cable

CAB-SPWR-30CM

Catalyst Stack Power Cable 30 CM

WS-C3850-12X48UW-S

Cisco Catalyst 3850 48 port(12 mGig) UPOE IPB with 5 AP Lic

PWR-C1-1100WAC 1100W

AC Config 1 Power Supply

CAB-TA-NA

STACK-T1-50CM

CAB-SPWR-30CM

PWR-C1-715WAC/2

715W AC Config 1 Secondary Power Supply

C3850-NM-8-10G

Cisco Catalyst 3850 8 x 10GE Network Module

WS-C3850-12S-S

Cisco Catalyst 3850 12 Port GE SFP IP Base

PWR-C1-350WAC/2

350W AC Config 1 SecondaryPower Supply

CAB-TA-NA

STACK-T1-50CM

CAB-SPWR-30CM

C3850-NM-BLANK

Cisco Catalyst 3850 Network Module Blank

PWR-C1-350WAC

350W AC Config 1 Power Supply

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I was wondering if anyone is aware of a tool for finding out what is included in Cisco switches? For example, I have to find the below materials for a project I'm working on, some of which I believe may be included already in the switches on the list, but I have no way of being able to tell. I need something like the CCW tool but I'm not a Cisco partner so I can't access that :(
A switch part number that ends in an equals (=) sign is a spare - just that part, no licenses, no options. In theory, a part that doesn't end in an equals sign has enough stuff in it to be minimally functional (one power supply, one fan tray, at least one interface and some sort of software license). The Cisco configurator is supposed to not let you order incomplete products like that. But sometimes it does, and sometimes it prevents you from ordering a valid configuration (like it insisting "you must select a country-specific power cord" when configuring a switch with DC power supplies).

That's on the classic "configure and price" tool, which I haven't seen in years. It has been replaced by a series of less-functional tools. But don't get me started...

Once it leaves Cisco, all bets are off - parts may have been added / removed along the way. But if you see (for example) an eBay listing with a picture of a sealed box with an = in the part number, it is probably just that part.

Note that for fixed-configuration switches like the 3750 series, the spare usually includes a power supply and fan.

There are also occasional abominations like the 7301, which came in single or dual AC or DC power and had to be ordered (even as a spare) in the desired configuration, because Cisco used a different chassis for each of the 4 different variants for some reason.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Beg to differ on the PSU, looks at things like ASA5555-X (K9), the second PSU has to be ordered.

Use the Cisco confit tool but also the Cisco sales person to help you, a lot comes from regular ordering an experience to manage to order everything correctly as you want.

On the topic of power cables I gave up.... often I let it force me to order the power cable it wanted not get one I wanted, changing the power cables sometimes was not ‘allowed’ as a valid config.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Beg to differ on the PSU, looks at things like ASA5555-X (K9), the second PSU has to be ordered.
I'm not familiar with that unit, but the configurator should let you order one power supply (and a blank filler for the second one if not provided on the chassis) or two power supplies. There's a difference between a minimal workable configuration and the desired configuration.
Use the Cisco confit tool but also the Cisco sales person to help you, a lot comes from regular ordering an experience to manage to order everything correctly as you want.
If someone does enough business with Cisco to justify purchasing directly (and getting an acceptable discount) they probably know this. The rest of the world purchases through the channel (for example, CDW) or the grey market (eBay, etc.).
On the topic of power cables I gave up.... often I let it force me to order the power cable it wanted not get one I wanted, changing the power cables sometimes was not ‘allowed’ as a valid config.
Yup. And this is particularly inexplicable, since new electrical power standards happen very infrequently and the initial setup of the configurator should remain useful for the orderable life of the product. I don't know why it almost always pops up. Things like "there is no software on the list of orderable software that supports the module you have selected" are more understandable. This is particularly true in switching, where there are "a thousand kingdoms" of IOS. The original plan was to have a mainline release train and a technology train, and stuff from the technology train would get added to the next mainline release. The switch people added all sorts of bizarre stuff that the mainline IOS people refused to accept. The first example I know of is the "emulated NVRAM in flash" on the 2900XL. "write erase" would hose the entire flash instead of just the config. Those were the "X" trains. Eventually everybody gave up and the switch people have their own "S" trains and are very slow to pick up features and fixes from mainline. And there is no consistent syntax - for example, look at the various commands used to display the IDPROM in an optical transceiver.