Cisco SG500X-48 @ Ebay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
Cisco Small Business 500X Series SG500X-48-K9-NA
Listed at $485 with Best Offer
Accepted offered of $400/each for 4

The SG500X has 2 SFP+ ports and can be stacked at up to 10Gb on dedicated stacking ports via copper or fiber. Can also be mixed with the SG500 lineup in a stack as well. I think this is a steal for a switch with 48 1GbE ports, 2 SFP+, and stacking.

Assuming I get what is listed and they work, that's about <1/3rd the price you will find these selling for on ebay and new. I took a chance and ordered 4 so there is only 3 left. Says they have shipped, don't expect to get them until mid next week. Will report once I get them.

Reactions: Patrick

cthulolz

Mar 17, 2015
Might want to contact the seller, the listing has several inconsistencies. The item description doesn't match the title, which doesn't match the part number, and the pictures show switches with two different port quantities.

EDIT: My mobile shows 3 pictures, 1 24 port, 1 48 port. Laptop only shows 2, so he may be cleaning the listing up.

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
Might want to contact the seller, the listing has several inconsistencies. The item description doesn't match the title, which doesn't match the part number, and the pictures show switches with two different port quantities.

EDIT: My mobile shows 3 pictures, 1 24 port, 1 48 port. Laptop only shows 2, so he may be cleaning the listing up.
I only show 2 pictures which are of the 48 port model with a clear picture of the part number as well. I've check multiple times. The title is clearly listed as SG500X-48. He also has written this;

This auction will contain qty 1 Cisco Small Business 500X Series SG500X-48-K9-NA . This item is used with a power cord and will come with a 14 day warranty. What you see pictured in the auction is what you will receive. If you have any further questions email me and I will get back with you. With energy-efficient technology, it optimize's power use to reduce energy costs without compromising performance. It's easy to configure and manage with intuitive browser-based tools. The Cisco SG500X-48 provides the ideal combination of affordability, reliability and performance in a switch designed specifically for small businesses.

ITEMS INCLUDED
Manufacturer: Cisco
Model: SG500X-48-K9 V02
16K MAC Address Table
24M Buffer Memory
Managed
48-Port Gigabit with 4-Port 10 Gigabit Stackable Managed Switch
Condition: Used- Very Good
Has power cord
Mounting hardware not included
Get the high availability and performance you need to support vital business applications while reducing downtime
Intuitive browser-based tools, mass deployment capabilities, and consistent features across all models simplify setup and configuration
Switches optimize power usage for energy efficiency without compromising performance
All 3 of those points of info are consistent.

The 1 inconsistency is the detailed item info, which shows specs for an SG300-28, that could have been a mistake I assume as everything else is about the SG500X-48. I doubt he typed out all the info on the SG300, while the rest of the info he clearly had to type out.

I saw the inconsistency but choose to take the risk. If it isn't the right part I will let everyone know and get my money back. The listing is pretty clear it is supposed to be the the SG500X-48 IMO. He has already shipped the parts and I'd suspect if it was listed incorrectly he would have contacted me about it and not shipped the part.

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
looks like there are 4x SFP+ is that correct?
I didn't understand this myself at first either. But no.
The 4 SFP+ ports from the right side of the switch are actually a combo of sorts. The far right ports are used for 5G stacking when you want to stack with SG500 switches. The next 2 SFP+ ports from the right are the 10G stacking ports that work with the SG500X line of products. If you have cable in the 5G stacking ports the 10G stacking ports aren't active, and vice versa.

FYI, should have mentioned this earlier, if you use the switch standalone you indeed can use all 4 SFP+ ports for uplinks/servers at 10GbE. The last 2 ports on the right, 5G stacking, will be deactivated in this setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus

whitey

Jun 30, 2014

I noticed the same thing, say's SG300-28 NOT SG500X-48 altho9ugh further down in description you are right it does indeed seem to be a SG500X-48. Hope you get the right part, smokin' deal if so.

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
I noticed the same thing, say's SG300-28 NOT SG500X-48 altho9ugh further down in description you are right it does indeed seem to be a SG500X-48. Hope you get the right part, smokin' deal if so.
Again, it says SG300-28 in one place where he clearly didn't type the information.
It says Sg500X-48 in multiple other places where he clearly type the information AND the pictures clearly show an SG500X-48. He also accepted my offer and shipped already, both times for him to notice if this was an error. And the auction is still up as it was initially posted.

Others might want to wait and see. I feel comfortable considering that information. And if it turns out to be the wrong part I feel like I have more then enough to get my money back.

Pictures of what I'm seeing;
View image: pic1
View image: pic2
View image: pic3
View image: pic4
View image: pic5

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Wish I would not have been so 'on the fence' about these, they were likely a kickass deal and I could have unloaded my J9008A modules and switch for some profit. I suck...If anyone wants to float one my way @ the $400 ticket price I'm game LOL haha j/k

EDIT: Were these POE as well, shoot me if so :-(

Last edited:

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
Never used Cisco devices before ... any recommendations on Transceivers ? (I have Finisar FTLX8571D3BCL on hand)
In the past I've just used the Cisco copper cables to stack them. Last time I bought the 5M for like $30 so rather cheap.
SFPH10GB-CU1M
SFPH10GB-CU3M
SFPH10GB-CU5M

This time I'm buying some from fiberstore (HERE). Actually the 1M is still a bit longer then I wanted so I orders some of the 0.5m ones (HERE) and specified the switch.

HERE is a link to all the transceivers/cables.

Can't say if the Finisar will work. But I think the equivalent is the Cisco SFP-10G-SR. Fiberstore equivalent alternative HERE.

I'm not sure if these switches do the check that prevents the third party optics from working. I'd bet if they do you can turn it off in the IOS like CLI.

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
Wish I would not have been so 'on the fence' about these, they were likely a kickass deal and I could have unloaded my J9008A modules and switch for some profit. I suck...If anyone wants to float one my way @ the $400 ticket price I'm game LOL haha j/k

EDIT: Were these POE as well, shoot me if so :-(
No PoE. If they were PoE I wouldn't have even put in an offer, I would have purchased all 7 of them at $485 and not bothered posting it, unless I wanted to gloat lol.

I really don't need 4 of these. Before I purchased them I asked if my company wanted at least 1 to throw in a new production environment. I told them the only real "issue" is the limited lifetime warranty. Cisco won't/doesn't like to honor that on third party switches. Cisco has been really good/quick with warranties on these SMB switches for me (<24hr replacement and I pay nothing to them for it). And they said they rather pay >$1k/switch more to have that. At which point I said, well I'll buy them myself instead. lol

So what I'm getting at is I'll keep you in mind. I might offload a few at the end of the year. Not quite at $400 (shipping, my time, they really don't sell for $400 ever), but will certainly be passing on the savings if I do. That is, if they turn out to be all good when they show up.

FYI, looks like Monday is when they get here.

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
lol. Whitney and another member have already contacted me. I don't really do dibs. :)
Haven't even got the switches yet! :)

Madhelp

Feb 7, 2013
I hear ya. I felt like it was worth a try. If anything changes please let me know. ;)