Cisco SG200-50 SLM2048T Managed Switch 48 Ports Gigabit 100$

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fagiano

Feb 5, 2011
Singapore
Any idea on what fan will be compatible?
40mm 12V with tachometer ( if you don't want a warning in the admin tools)
there are many 40mm fans on amazon the main thing is that has to be 12v

this guy shows how he replaced the fans in a switch of the same series
DIY Project: Replacing Stock Cisco SG300-52 Fans With Silence - Wahl Network

BTW: I bought one of the switches, let's see what kind oil we are dealing with, maybe just a simple olive oil dressing :)

Alberto

asintado08

Sep 16, 2014
I also bought one. Here is the exact part number that is included for this system according to the seller.

P/N: 3620425511
Model # AFB0412LB
DC 12V .09A

I see low noise fan for SG300 and SG500 systems in ebay. I might try to use them as an alternative. Haha.

Let me know how bad the oil is. My unit is already with my forwarder in CA. It will take some time before it reach Philippines.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
not "really" oil

I know on DIY uses mineral oil :D...
I watch the video on how they built and the final result.

fagiano

Feb 5, 2011
Singapore
Ok I just received the switch. As expected it seems to be sligtly greesy. It is an inhodour mineral oil, very low viscosity. Nothing that some isopropyl alchool cannot fix. I wouln'd buy bulk tought. BTW I haven't test it yet.

Alberto

fagiano

Feb 5, 2011
Singapore
The oil on the switch is much less viscous than vaseline. I think I'm going to remove the cover take out any battery and wash it in the dish washer(seriously). Then let it dry for few days(here in Singapore weather is not gonna take long)

canta

Nov 26, 2014
The oil on the switch is much less viscous than vaseline. I think I'm going to remove the cover take out any battery and wash it in the dish washer(seriously). Then let it dry for few days(here in Singapore weather is not gonna take long)
the metal/plastic case can be done with dishwasher .

PCB/motherboard/board can be done easily with soaking isopropyl alcohol 90-91% (since 99% an up is not common and more expensive) and let air dry for 24 hours.

asintado08

Sep 16, 2014
Mine is still with the forwarder. If it is not that bad then it should be good.

Have you tried to turned it on?

quicktap

Nov 9, 2015
I received my switch about two hours ago, wiped it down, swapped the fans (there were fans installed), and plugged it in. As others have said, the oil isn't heavy, I used a washcloth and an orange-based cleaner for a quick wipedown. I wish I'd thought to use alcohol. If I find that the switch is fully functional, I'll go through a thorough cleaning.

My switch had a fairly old firmware version on it, so I downloaded the latest and attempted to upgrade it. I'll save you each the long story and some googling, when you go download the firmware, you'll also want to download version 1.3.7.18. The installed version was old enough that you can't update directly to 1.4.1.03. I found a post somewhere that said you have to go to 1.3.7.18 first, so I did that. In my case, I was able to update the bootloader (with the file from 1.4.1.0.3), but the firmware upload would fail with "illegal software format" until I uploaded 1.3.7.18, rebooted, then uploaded 1.4.1.03.

I am a bit confused, though, and I would appreciate some wisdom. I've replaced the fans, but they're not running. I used 2 Noctua NF-A4x10, which should work (12v, 3-pin). However, in the health section of the web interface, I see "Fan Status: Fail". Any ideas on how would one reset that or correct it?

Reactions: jayare

quicktap

Nov 9, 2015
I've resolved the fan problem.

The wiring layout for the new fans is different than the layout for the included fans. I didn't try the old fans, but I've made some changes to the wiring of the Noctua fans and they're working fine. I should have paid more attention to the fans as I installed them.

Last edited:

fagiano

Feb 5, 2011
Singapore
So, I took apart the switch and and washed it in the dishwasher at 45C. Both motherboard and PSU are nice and clean. It's very easy to take apart and other than the RJ45 ports there isn't any place I can see where water could build up. After a 15 min out of the dishwasher 99% of the mobo look pretty dry. I also dunked the screws in isopropyl alchool and let the greese float up. I'll give it few days and and check if I killed it (I doubt).

Yep, I confirm noctua 12v 40mm fans need rewiring to work. Don't follow the tutorial I posted, the guy cut and soldered cables, you don't need to do that. Molex connector can be disassembled and rebuilt without braking anything. If you look carefully each female pin is just hold in place in by a tiny catch that you can lift with a thin peace of metal(small screwdriver). Then, you can slide the female pin out and reinsert it in the right order.

Alberto

fagiano

Feb 5, 2011
Singapore
So, It turns out that you can "dishwash" a switch :D . Everything seems to work just fine(as expected), now is time to upgrade firmware and such. It was quite painless, I think overall I might have spent an hour in total on this switch. For 99$ is pretty good value. I'm tempted to buy another one.

The following pictures show before, in the dishwasher and after.

IMG_0555.jpg IMG_0560.jpg IMG_0564.jpg