Cisco router for cable internet, small network

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MidnightWolf

Jan 9, 2014
Hello!

I need a Cisco router for a 60mbits down / 5mbits up cable connection. NAT is required for ~5 computers, and I do not want the router to be speed bottleneck. Is the 2821 router enough for this task? I've read many topics about cisco router throughput but I am still unsure about this. What do you think?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
60mbps/5mbps is not much traffic to push these days.

To give you an idea (aside from the EdgeRouter Lite linked above) you could take an Intel Atom D525 running pfsense and easily push 10x that amount with quite a few features turned on.

One big question is whether you want the router to do anything else. Firewall, snort, caching and etc.

Diavuno

I run both an ASA 5505 and a pfsence at home.

each a 50/5 pipes

the ASA is a 500 (or maybe it was 800) MHZ Geode upgraded to 1GB ram, does OK but I was bumping the artificial connections limit.

my PF sense box is a low powered Via C3 1GHZ (integrated crypto extentions) 1GB ram.... never come close to its limits, WAY more running on it. also has a small (160gb) mirror with Squid, less bandwith through WAN.... WIN

MidnightWolf

Jan 9, 2014
Ok I have still not decided which router to get. Along with the Ubiquiti Lite I found this MIKROTIK RB2011UiAS-RM (same price as ubiquiti in my country) which might be better for me as I am using a rack and fiber optics SFP. I just don't know wether I can assign ip addresses for each port on the mikrotik router or just for one.

Last edited:

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
The quick guide says that Eth1 is configured as the "WAN" port and all the other ports are bridged to a LAN interface. Sounds like it is up to the user to configure this differently.

politby

Dec 31, 2013
I have one EdgeRouter and one Cisco RV042G, both on gigabit fiber 1000/100 connections. No discernible difference in throughput. The Ubiquiti is considerably more flexible but also less intuitive to set up. If you don't mind a bit more fiddling, the Edgerouter is a great choice.

fruitcake

Jun 17, 2013
Mike yes in its default config that is the case, but it's easy enough to delete the bridge config and use it as a pure router, that is with one or more ips per port, or vlan. I use the rb2011 for my home network and several of the cloud core router models at work. Really good kit, for its price nothing matches the capabilities of the mikrotik units not even the ubiquiti. I have an edgemax but don't use it.

Last edited:

root

Nov 19, 2013
I've replaced my ASA5505 with EdgeRouter POE, got frustrated how difficult it is to setup properly (especially FW rules & routes) and how bad the GUI is and finally settled up on ZyWALL 110. Great interface, hardware is powerful (quad-core CPU) and support is in US. Way cheaper than Cisco or Sonicwall. I have 200/20MBit Internet.