Cisco Nexus 5K 40port 10GBE switch 995$ obo

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
I'm guessing you haven't worked with Nexus switches ;)

They're LOUD in the datacenter. ;).

Still. Would be nice to have some Nexus. Dammit. And some FEX's.

This is not the group that meets anonymously to discuss this addiction is it? I think I need to go there....

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
Unfortunatly i have not yet had a chance to play with the nexus stuff though have considered picking up an N3K a couple of times

Reactions: Chuntzu

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
If you don't require FEX's, then the 3K I was told by my Cisco SE pal was the way to go. They're functionally then similar to a Force10 S4810 or an IBM g8264. While I like both of those from a cost standpoint, Nexus let you learn considerably more marketable skills if you like cents and such (my primary motivator for my lab...)

Reactions: Chuntzu and pyro_

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
You're NOT helping! Just had a discussion with our 'but I'm not the network guy' here and even he's like 'well, maybe we could....' ;).

Licences can be an issue. Cisco SFP+ are stupidly priced. Most twinax I tried worked okay and I mostly have Cisco ones anyway. There is no stacking which can be good or bad. You CAN do vPC though which is largely why you'd want stacking vs single management.

Shame the USD to CAD is 30% more. And that I haven't installed the G8264's yet. Which do more with 40gbe but 'aren't Nexus'. Which would certainly help for a CCNA Cloud or CCDP/CCDC...

Reactions: pyro_

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
Ya the exchange rate sux, keeps me from picking up some of the toys i want and makes all my hobbies all the more expensive

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
At 480 watts and 51 BTU the Nexus 5K is a rack mountable space heater that also doubles as a switch.
Well, if you are doing it for skills/ lab I can understand, esp if the goal is to keep it for 6mo.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
I'd love to see the guy who uses a Nexus 5K in a home lab. That's hardcore.
So I would be "that guy"! [emoji1] Truth is I bought one, set it up, and there were a few things I didn't like. First its 2u not 1u which isn't all that bad but it was still just as loud. Two it is extremely hot..like c6100 with all nodes running hot. Three no layer three license and since I'm not an enterprise user or buying new getting that license was extremely difficult and very expensive. Finally in the end all of that didn't matter as the fan module seized up and shut the switch down on the third day of use. So, instead of getting frustrated and giving up I said well lets try this again, sent it back and was about to buy another when I found this beauty, my n3k-c3064pq. I was lucky to get it with not only the basic layer-3 license Installed but with the extended layer-3 license as well.

Just for a little extra fun, here is the other half of my fabric, my 40gb infiniband switch.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
Since the image isn't the best from the back I found out something interesting about this switch when I picked it up way back when....it actually was being used by the company where most of us got our c6100s from. It still has its barcode and tag on the back. Thought that was kinda cool.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
A 3064 would be great. I'm trying to figure out how to leverage our currently u utilized 70% off NFR Discount, perhaps on some refurb gear, to get a UCS lab going. Still going to cost more than my last car though I bet, but in a year I could resell it (NFR restrictions) so could be worth doing. Need to find a study partner ;)