Cisco Nexus 5548P - Quieter Fan Mod?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Servergeek

Feb 23, 2021
So I picked up a Cisco Nexus 5548 for DIRT cheap from a local electronics recycler in my area. It's a really nice switch, like the ability for fabric extenders and the like and just the features it has, but it is stinking LOUD. I have it in the basement but you can hear it upstairs. My Procurve 6600 which was stupid loud (68dB) is like a whisper compared to it lol. Even my fabric extender for it is waaay quieter.

Is there an option to put quieter fans in it? Or is there a cheap 10g switch option I could get to replace it?

Servergeek

Feb 23, 2021
Any suggestions for fans? I don't want to completely sacrifice cooling for sound but i dont mind it being close to my 6600.

The other thing I was curious about was if the FEX fan modules will go in the 5548, if that was possible it would be quite a bit quieter.

Servergeek

Feb 23, 2021
Kinda a bump, still haven't tried the mod yet but was wondering if anyone knows what the pinout might be for the fans. They are delta fans but have a 8 wire connector for each fan set. Is there anyone who might know what the pinout could be, or how could you figure it out?

Also will those single 40mm fans move enough air to keep it cool? Or is there a such thing as quieter counter-rotating fans?

kerber

Mar 22, 2022
I recently just picked up a 5548UP and was also looking into this. There doesn't seem to be much documentation on the wiring so I am going to contact Delta directly to see if they can give some guidance.

One thing to note. Most Nexus switches have a minimum RPM fan fault where if it senses the fans are below their expected RPM it will turn off the switch and claim fan failure. I'm not sure if this will effect this switch (and which NX-OS is running) but something to look out for. I may buy a second fan module to do the testing on.

I'll let you know what I come up with, my fiancé would greatly appreciate if this thing was much more silent

okiedokie

Mar 19, 2022
Would really like to hear how this mod turns out. I'm on the cusp of picking up 2x 5548UP. I've been warned that they are ridiculously loud which is what led me here. Any news on this?

I thought maybe I'd go with 5596 since its 2U and theoretically quieter, but the 5596 is double the wattage draw and BTU output of the 5548. In a dual home setup, I'd be pulling nearly 1,400 watts, and pumping out 4,600 BTU. Yikes!

Servergeek

Feb 23, 2021
Sorry to bump this again, but I apparently have a little information to share with people buying these switches.

They came with 4 revisions of the fan modules (at least)

Mine had a Revision 1 and a Revision 3 module, the Revision 1 modules are about twice as loud as the Revision 3 modules, and the Revision 1 modules apparently don't have fan isolation because they make the whole chassis rattle, while just the V03 fan is quiet-ish (slightly louder than my Supermicro 1u server)

You can tell by the shape, the V03 fans have an indent on the front for the fan mesh, and they are all plastic except for the fan mesh. They also have "N5548P-FAN V03" on the label. N5548P-FAN V02 fans also have the indent, not sure if they are louder than V03 or not, or what the difference is without seeing/testing one.

Earlier fans have N5548P-FAN B or N5548P-FAN V01. The earlier fans have a flat mesh, no indent. They are also all metal construction around the fans.

I wonder if I can run it with one fan until I can order a second fan, they are like $70-80 usd used which is kinda insane. (Considering I paid like $100 for the switch) Is it fine to run it with 1 fan module instead of 2? I know NX-OS will complain, but the noise is insane with both.

Edit: Changed around, realized V02 and V03 are the same external design.
Edit 2: There are also B and non-B variants, not sure what the differences are. Is it airflow direction maybe? (Confirmed - The blades on the fans are reversed, so they must be from portside to back airflow)

Last edited: