Cisco N9K-C9336PQ

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TAX19992

Jun 2, 2023
Hello, I am newbie in the networking and I have access to a Cisco N9K-C9336PQ switch (garage sale). I wanted to setup a homelab in which i connect two servers to this switch. I am not sure if this is possible since it says it is a spine switch. Does anyone have experience with those switches? I hope someone guides me which parts are needed in case that I can connect server nodes directly to it without leaf switches. I really appreciate your help. Thanks.

datasheet

Dehelvin

Jun 6, 2023
The Cisco N9K-C9336PQ is a spine switch designed for large-scale data centers. While it can be used in a homelab, it may be overkill. To connect servers directly, ensure their NICs match the switch's supported interfaces (e.g., 10GbE, 25GbE, 40GbE) and acquire compatible transceivers/cables. Configuration requires advanced networking knowledge. Consider more consumer-friendly switches unless specifically working with enterprise-grade equipment.

Last edited:

TAX19992

Jun 2, 2023
Hello Dehelvin, I understand that it may be overkill but I just want to know if a spine switch can directly connect to server nodes. In the spec sheet, it doesn't seem so. From my understanding, this was designed to connect to other leaf switches only. Correct me if i am wrong or you know a method to circumvent that.