Cisco Meraki MS22, good 10Gbe switch?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
I’ve been looking for an affordable rackmount 10Gb switch to get my feet wet. I currently have an SG200-18. I have no need for PoE at this time.

I’m seeing these Cisco Meraki switches on eBay and wondering if they are worth the ~$100 they are going for? I’m looking specifically at the 24-port MS22 with 4x SFP+ 10Gbe ports. Can these be used to connect to a single computer? Or only to connect switches together? I’m only looking to hook up a few systems to 10Gb not all of them. Namely my NAS/transcode servers and a workstation.

Sorry if it’s a dumb question, trying to learn about the 10Gbe world.

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
The ebay listing states it is unclaimed. I have read about that since that is a new one for me also, but *should* unclaimed.

but claiming/unclaiming aside, I'm just wondering if this switch is worth it at ~$100 and if the SFP+ ports can be used to connect individual systems, or only connect to other switches or if that is even a concern.

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
Yes, sfp+ can be used to connect other switches or hosts.
Yes, 100$ is good price for anything 10gb :)

(some alternatives to consider:)
$100 for 10gb u/l switch is target hard to hit. How about something in line of EoL cisco gear?
IIRC, X2 is compatible with sfp+, just need sc/lc cable.
These are power hungry and loud.

Cisco WS-C4948-10GE-S 4948-10GE 48 Port Gigabit +10GB Switch w/ Dual AC 15.0 OS | eBay

You may also check some supermicro switches, they are not appreciated enough and it reflects on theirs prices

SuperMicro SSE-G24-TG4 24 Port Layer 3 Gigabit Switch with 10GE SFP+ Module 672042041824 | eBay

You can check older quanta switches, they are white-box and may use unfamiliar CLI

Quanta (LB4M,LB4) | eBay

Last edited:

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
Is this not 10Gbe?

SCRATCHES Cisco Meraki MS22 24 Port GigE Switch 600-20010 Unclaimed | eBay

The listing says gige but the documentation for that model says it’s got 4x SFP+ 10Gbe ports

There’s another 48port POE model (MS42P) on eBay for $150 that directly says is 10g. But I really don’t need that many ports and it’s too deep to fit in my network rack anyway.

Unless there’s some minutia in the model number that I’m missing

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
The documentation does not say MS22 is sfp+, only MS42.
Also, it seems that license is mandatory to use any of the meraki gear. Look up how much LIC-MS22-1YR / LIC-MS22-3YR is.
End of support is April 26th, 2021, I think you wont be able to register any licenses after this date.

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
Thanks for the info. I the documentation I saw was a document that covered both the 42 and 22 and I didn’t see that one had different SFP ports. The licensing sucks also.

Can you recommend something else around this price range? I don’t need a L3 switch, but would like a Webgui to manage things like vlans and LACP, just want something 1U rackmount less than 13” depth, with 18-24ish gig ports and at least 2 10Gbe ports. And doesn’t require any licensing nonsense

chaoscontrol

Aug 15, 2019
Thanks for the info. I the documentation I saw was a document that covered both the 42 and 22 and I didn’t see that one had different SFP ports. The licensing sucks also.

Can you recommend something else around this price range? I don’t need a L3 switch, but would like a Webgui to manage things like vlans and LACP, just want something 1U rackmount less than 13” depth, with 18-24ish gig ports and at least 2 10Gbe ports. And doesn’t require any licensing nonsense
Nevermind, wrong item, let me find it and edit this post.

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
So basically this is my setup and this is what I want.

I have Fios, and the ONT box is in the basement, the internet line runs up through the floor to my router (netgear R6700v2) in my office. the router directly serves my main desktop/workstation and my test bench in the same room. then a third output from the router plugs into the wall and back down under the house, through a 50ft Cat6 cable and pack up into another room in the far end of the house where I have my rack. The line comes into a Cisco SG200-18 18-port switch, then from the into my NAS, GPU transcode server, and another system running DC projects.

I want the workstation, NAS, and GPU transcode server to be setup with 10Gb, the testbench and DC system can stay on 1Gb, maybe the transcode server if I have to leave it 1Gb.

Im re-doing several things with the network. I'm in the process of setting up a pfsense box to replace the router (which will be retained as an AP) in a 1U SM case A1SRi-2758f 8GB ram. I got a 6U network rack, but it's only 13.25" deep. I plan to have that mounted inside the closet in the office, not far from where the router already is. run the Fios line into the new pfsense box. from pfsense to a switch, and I was hoping to re-use that existing 50ft of cat6 to get 10Gb out to the server rack. but it sounds like the setup to do this is complicated. and most people recommending SFP+ instead. but I can't find much DAC cable that's 50ft long. Re-runnning a fiber cable under the house doesnt sound fun, and I'm worried about the bend radius in some spots (mainly the keystone wall plates, one wall has insulation, do they have right angle fiber adapters for a keystone wall plate?)

What do you think is my best approach?

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
Or what about the Mikrotik CSS326-24G-2S+RM? About $150 on eBay. And cheaper on amazon.

Last edited: